Wednesday, 13 April 2016

Tree Following 2016 - along the river bank.

I set out along the river bank to get some shots of my chosen tree in between showers.  Dark grey clouds were looming in every direction.  Since intermittent showers are forecast for the next few days I decided now's as good a time as any.  I donned my fleece and grabbed my camera, If I am quick I can be there and back before the rain comes on.  As you can see the trees are still very bare.  The only obvious sign that it's not the dead of winter is that clump of dandelions on the right hand side of the footpath.  It's not until you get up close and personal that you can see buds are fattening.



However, I was not alone.  I had company.  Kooki Kat decided he was coming with me.  I could hear the tinkle of his bell as he bounded along the path to catch me up.

"Come on then, but you'd better behave yourself!" 
    
Buds in March

I rounded the bend and noted my tree looks exactly the same as it did last month.  It was suggested that my tree could be a common ash. Apparently I should be able to confirm this if the buds are black in colour.  The buds are not black as you can see they are a pale green. I did note a few trees along the way had distinctive black buds but not my particular tree.                


There is much more greenery appearing from beneath the debris.   As you will soon become aware I am not only rubbish at identifying trees my knowledge of wildflowers is just as embarrassing.


I am quite familiar with the brambles (Rubus fruticosa) and the viciousness of those nasty thorns.  I trampled on a few stems to get a better look round the back of my tree.  The dark side!  As expected moss is thriving here.

Moss on the shadier side

As are the lesser celandines.   They are just coming into bloom.

A newly 'hatched' bloom from what I gather is commonly known as butterbur or coltsfoot.  Petasites hybridus is afforded the perfect conditions here to thrive.


This next species I want to say is chickweed but I am not so sure.  I have tried to identify this from images online but I am finding nothing as definitive.  Pictures are mostly of wildflower's blooms.   I did warn you know that my knowledge of wildflowers is dire.  I am hoping someone can clarify just what this is for me.   Please put me out of my misery.


My phone for scale

Something has obviously been digging here.  More than likely moles if you take the mound of soil into consideration.  The moles are very active here.  Rabbits are abundant in numbers in this area too but since there is no visible rabbit dropping I dismissed them as the cause.  I doubt too that rabbits would have attempted to make their burrows in such an open site. Thankfully neither critter frequent our gardens here.      

Speaking of rabbits, my clodhopping around obviously disturb one or two.  3 adult rabbit charged straight past me.  I don't know who got the biggest fright.  The rabbits, me or Kooki.  I am thankful that he is useless at hunting.  He knows it too.  He didn't bother giving chase.


I didn't want to hang around too long, those rabbits might just pique his interest long enough to encourage him to run off in the opposite direction.  I distracted him with the strap from my camera and teased him all the way home with it.  

Tree Following is a meme hosted by Pat at The Squirrel Basket, you can read more about it here.  Thanks for reading and apologies to Pat for still not having an ID so she can update her list.

12 comments:

  1. A very nice and intersting walk with your cat and you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that the cat went too, your tree may be an acer of some sort and the hole in the grown most likely one of those pesky rabbits. Petasites is great for wet soil but can get BIG! It likes space :) The next mystery plant is a mystery, difficult to say from the ariel photo, but there is comfrey there (with the deep veined leaves) be interesting to see how it and the tree develop in the next few weeks. Have a great week and hope your garden isn't too waterlogged. Sinking in mud here at the nursery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. well that is something! -- going for a walk with a cat. enjoyed the story

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a journey of adventure (for you and the cat - and me, too).
    Many of us have celandines, but I am particularly wowed by that butterbur - I have never seen one of those. Very alien...
    Hope the tree gives you a few more clues next time :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really difficult to tell the identity if the mystery plant from the photo but it doesn't look like chickweed more like a sort of sedum. I'm glad Kooki Kat isn't a hunter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angie I love that your cat came too, I have some ash trees in my garden and they are starting to leaf out, the buds are green and when I checked photos I took a few weeks ago they were a dark plummy colour, it looks like there is quite a variety of wild flowers around your tree, it will be interesting seeing what they are,
    I have been reading your posts, you have a nice border for your end of month view, Frances

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a very interesting meme/hobby -- to go around and identify trees. I'm very bad at identifying trees and I really want to learn to identify all these majestic trees around me. A very lovely written piece.

    ReplyDelete
  8. These posts are taking on characteristics of a mystery story! I'm glad you had company in the woods even if Kooki has shortcomings as a protector.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm no good at identifying trees, mildly better at wildflowers and agree with Sue that it looks like a type of sedum. Butterburrs are the oddest plants. I'm not sure I like them, but I do find them fascinating.

    So lovely of the handsome Kooki to join you. He needs to up his game and help you identify your tree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angie I think the narcissus thalia and leucojum aestivum look beautiful with the variegata cornus, the white flowers set off the colours in the leaves so well, your fritilaria are weird, interesting too, the plant your friend gave you is pretty do you know what it is called? I'm glad the euphorbia are growing well, those 3 are in flower in my garden,the other one euphorbia humpty dumpty seems to flower later, your E. Silver swan looks good a shame about the wind rock I hope it will be alright, Frances

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, it will be fun to discover the true identity of your tree! In the meantime, thanks for taking us along on your hike!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your plant looks like a young dwarf euphorbia similar to one we have in the garden, it has yellow flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.