Gardening in Edinburgh, Scotland - a keen beginner gardener!
Started to plant out my garden in March 2011. I've had successes and failures. I like to think I'm learning more as each season comes and goes.
Most of all thank you for visiting - I hope you like it here!
I made few inroads with the jobs I was planning to do since I my last end of month post but not quite completed all the jobs I had hoped to have done by the end of the month. DIY
End of September 2015
projects, both here and at my brother's house saw my weekends occupied. It can be tough being the family 'DIY go to gal' at times. Like buses, DIY jobs tend to come all at once!
As you can see there is still a fair bit of colour out in the front garden. The trees that line the river bank tell their own autumn tale. I think without seeing these trees you'd be hard pushed to guess we are now in the last throes of the year. Thankfully the lawn has needed no mowing since my last post.
End of October 2015
I have removed and binned the annuals. I had originally toyed with the idea of attempting to bring Begonia Burning Embers through winter but the fact that the plugs were quite cheap last spring means it is probably not worth the time and effort involved. The two roses I needed to move have been cut back by half and moved into better positions. It broke my heart to cut of all those buds and blooms from R. The Lark Ascending but needs must and all that. R. Lady Emma Hamilton has many buds lower down on the bush which might yet open and two out of the three Salvia Amistad needed removing in order to do this. This corner now feels much more balanced and each rose didn't even flinch! Salvia cuttings have been taken and are now rooting away nicely on the kitchen windowsill. I went a tad over the score last year by successfully striking no less than 18 cuttings and had a job finding homes for those I didn't want. I've been a bit more cautious this year and have taken 6. I had no idea just how readily they root. Not having a greenhouse, I toil for valuable windowsill space in winter, the other reason I did not bother with the Begonia cuttings.
The view toward the street shows the gaps left by the removal of the annuals and Dahlias. I lifted the Cosmos atrosanguineus Chocamocha plants shortly after taking these pictures. I will go into more detail at the end of my post on my plans for these expensive plants. At a tenner a pop I can't afford to throw money like that away each year. Cotinus Grace, in the foreground, now in full autumn mode. Along the fence line, I have added some tall species lilies. Lilium leichtlinii, which I bought last spring and never did get round to getting them in the ground. They did beautifully in their pot though. I picked up a couple of packs of martagon Lilies, L. martagon Arabian Nights, the other week in the GC. I would have bought more but these two packs were the last on shelf. I think their colours should blend right in. They look rather impressive don't you think?
This is how the garden looks as you walk in the gate. You can see some of the plants are just not giving up yet. There is plenty still on offer for any pollinators that are still visiting the garden. The plants I added last month, the Erysimum cuttings and silver edged Lady's Mantle have settled in and are now putting on quite a bit of growth. Rosa Lady of Shallot will also receive a prune back to prevent wind rock. This edge takes a mean battering from the winds. The impressive foliage is that off Erysimum Fragrant Star. Variegated green with cream edging it has done a grand job whether in bloom or not.
I mentioned last month of my intent to mulch the roses this winter. My friend swears by giving her roses a good dollop at this time of the year. I got round to buying the manure but haven't quite got round to spreading it yet. The roses I have moved have been done and the climbing R. Teasing Georgia by the arch is also done but the remainder have yet to have their share. They will be done this week come hell or high water.
A couple of you asked me last month on how I intend to keep the Cosmos for winter. I should have pointed out that this will be the first time I've attempted this, so very much at the experimental stage. Unlike the annual Cosmos many of us grow, Cosmos atrosanguineus Chocamocha is in fact a tuberous perennial that in order to keep them for next year will require them to be kept frost free during winter. I have scoured the web for advice and the first stage is to lift the whole plant, cut back growing stems to a couple of inches and allow the tubers/roots to dry out for a few days in the shed. The plants lifted very easily and I shook off as much excess soil/compost as I could. Once dried it will, I imagine, be easier to clean of the remaining soil. To me they look like a mass of roots rather than tubers, or tubers than I am more familiar with that is. Once dried out I will pot them on into a trough I have with some fresh, dry compost. I will overwinter them in the cupboard under the stair. The idea, I am assuming is to treat them pretty much like Begonia or Dahlia tubers. We shall see. I am also reading that they can take an age to come back into growth and that I must not be too hasty to discard them next year.
Thanks for reading and please join me and other garden bloggers over at The Patient Gardener's blog for a nosy around other folks gardens. Have a good week.