Thursday, 1 October 2015

End of Month View September 2015

End of August 2015


Slowly but surely Autumn is creeping upon us but not before we get a bit of late summer sun.  It really does deserve a fan fare!  It's been a pure pleasure to garden this last week.  I can't tell you how pleased I am about this.  I've been extremely down in the dumps about the rotten weather we've experienced.



The first view, as always for my End of Month View.  This meme is hosted by The Patient Gardener at the end of each month.  Just look at that sky.  Ahh!  Skys such as these really have been few and far between this year. You can also just make out some autumn colour on the tops of those trees that line the walk along the river.   We've had some amazing sunsets this last few nights too. I am usually getting ready to leave for work as the sun is going down at this time of the year and I made a effort last night to be organised to catch those wonderful skies.  Guess what?  Yes, you guessed right.  Last night's sunset was really quite dull by comparison.  



Looking west end of September 2015
  
It was not until I upload this shot that I realised this view shows how out of balance both sides of the garden is.  I am unsure if the hedge is to blame or my planting.  The roses on the right hand side.  R. Jude the Obscure and Graham Thomas should be taller in future years and the Cotinus in the far corner will eventually add height here so I just need to have a bit of patience I think.  Me, patience? That's a laugh!  Not one of my finest qualities, I admit.  The rogue Iris, as you can clearly see is still bang smack in the middle of the arch, another one for the autumn move.  

The view looking towards the house, to the left you can see how profusely the roses are blooming again.  I can't praise both these roses enough.  R. Lady of Shallot and R. The Lark Ascending have been astounding this year in spite of the weather. I wonder if they are maybe suited more to the cooler weather.  That's obviously something I will have to observe over the coming years.   Rosa Teasing Georgia has finally got going too and is now making quite good progress up the side of the arch.  Until now this rose has been incredibly slow.  Hopefully putting all it's energy into getting down some good roots.  All the Rudbeckia are still flowering well, as are Crocosmia George Davidson.  It seems that I've lost Crocosmia Emily Mackenzie, she has not made an appearance this year.  

towards the house End of September 2015

Rosa The Lark Ascending.  I just had to share this shot with you.  Granted the aphids are back but they have not stopped this fine display.  This rose truly is one for the bees - they love it! It does not have such a strong scent as some of the others but I can forgive it for that.  

Rosa The Lark Ascending


Standing in front of the house this hazy afternoon shot is pretty well the best of a bad bunch.  Salvia Amistad in the corner near the hedge is now getting tall.  Another plant loved by the pollinators. There is a side of me disappointed that it does not fit in with my scheme here but I worry not since it is not hardy here (proven) and these plants were cutting from last year's single specimen I grew.  I will take more cuttings this year and plan to grow them in the top border in the back garden.  It has turned out to be one of my favourites.  Oddly enough it has not struggled with the weather either, yet I would have expected it too.  After all they are sun worshippers, are they not?   

The view south End of September 2015


Rosa Hot Chocolate

So, what if anything is new?  I mentioned last month that I was considering purchasing Rosa Hot Chocolate for the gap created by the removal of the Anthemis and one or two other things. Well, as things turned out, rose stocks at one or two GCs were rather depleted but thankfully I managed to eventually source one. It was the only specimen they had left.  Much to my relief it was healthy enough and came home with me. It now has it's own little spot between the arch and R. Fighting Temeraire.  I have planted a yellow daylily, Hemerocallis Golden Chimes  at the edge nearest the path which I think should compliment if nicely.  The single bud it had at time of purchase did bloom and I was able to see it was more appropriately suited to my scheme out here than Rosa Summer Song had been.  




The Erysimum cuttings I took earlier have rooted well and 3 of them fill the corner by the gate now that the Leucanthemum has gone.  I want to thank everyone who encouraged me to give Erysimum cuttings a go.  I had it in my head they'd be particularly difficult but it seems not.  One plant  will do the job but I am hedging my bets.  Hopefully they should all grow as well as the parent plant I have.  It was as small as these when I was given a cutting by a friend.  I will select the best one of the three come spring time to continue to grow on.  The other two will become possible replacements for the expensive brown and orange coloured Rudbeckia should they fail to come through winter.  I suspect they might well be one of those plants that although claiming to be hardy, they will more than likely turn out to be borderline hardy rather than fully hardy.  I am considering protecting the crowns of these plant with straw to give them at least a fighting chance.  Since planting a few months ago they have put out no new growth at the base.  I can't remember what the other Rudbeckia had done in previous years. 

I need to make preparations for lifting the Dahlia and Cosmos tubers and I suspect that by this time next month this whole place will look somewhat bare as the autumn clear up begins.  I also plan to give the roses a winter mulch of manure, a friend swears by this.  I'll give most things a try at least once to see if it provides any benefit.    

Pleased with the amount of plants that are still flowering well, I leave you with a collage of a few of the best.  Thanks for reading and as the weekend approaches - have a good one!  

    

39 comments:

  1. Hi, Angie! Autumn is here as well. Your roses bloom till now, The Lark Ascending is very lovely! My crocosmia didn't bloom too and I think I dried its bulbs in winter. I dig it and store at home, do you? Why do you lift cosmos tubers? Are they perennials?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Roses may bloom right up until christmas time if we are lucky Nadezda. The Crocosmia are left in the ground, they are hardy here. I have no idea as to why this particular ones have not returned. I suspect I may have inadvertently dug them up! The Cosmos I am talking about are tuberous ones and should be perennial if I can store them successfully over winter. Cosmos atrosanguineus Chocamocha is this particular cultivar.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful fall post, I really love the colours of your front garden. Rosa 'Hot Chocolate' is a good addition in this area, I have the almost similar 'Brown Velvet', a beauty too.
    Hope we keep this sunny weather for some more days including the weekend.
    Enjoy your garden in autumn Angie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was not familiar with R. Brown Velvet Janneke and having had a quick google, you are right, they do look very similar. Wishing you a sunny weekend too :)

      Delete
  3. Your front garden has undergone a transformation in such a short time - you must be really pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased Sue and it has more than met the expectations I had for it one year on.

      Delete
  4. Ah, The Lark Ascending is gorgeous! My Teasing Georgia, grown as a climber, took a few years to settle in but has since grown into a very large climber. Hopefully yours will do the same. My Lady of Shallot was still filling in a lot of greenery this year so hopefully next year it will be more of a bloomer. I don't have Jude or Graham, so can't compare their performance. But it's fun to hear about the same roses growing on almost-opposite sides of the globe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been advised by a few readers that DA Roses can take a while to settle in so am confident those not doing too well will only improve. Glad to read you have confirmed others comments.

      Delete
  5. My Lark Ascending has given up now, but I'm hoping for better things next year when it's more established. Love love love 'Hot Chocolate'!!
    I'm still hearing reports of a colder than average winter. I hope the forecasters are wrong, but I'll be digging up more stuff this year, just in case. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've also heard those reports about the colder than average winter Jessica - I often wonder if the met office just cover their bases in so far as winter in concerned and hopefully they are doing just that this year!
      I hope you are able to save all those plants you are trying to keep - good luck!

      Delete
  6. Dear Angie, I think your garden looks absolutely fantastic, especially having in mind the bad weather that you were having until recently. I can't get over how well and profusely the rose 'The Lark Ascending' is blooming for you! It is such an incredible beauty. I think there are definitively roses that prefer cooler climates and some that like to live in warm climates best. I am curious how 'Hot Chocolate' will do for you. It certainly goes well with your color scheme.
    I liked that you added the mosaic. That way one can see clearly how well the chosen bloom colors go together. I love the bright yellow crocosmia (is this actually a crocosmia?) in the last row of the mosaic.
    Wishing you more of the lovely weather that you are having lately. You and your garden certainly deserve it!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Christina - I am sure you'll have plenty reports on how well Hot Chocolate does in the future. Yes, that is a Crocosmia. C. George Davidson. This picture does not do it justice, it's a beautiful one.
      It does help putting the blooms together in this way Christina, it makes it easy to see what goes and what clashes.

      Delete
  7. Great blog Angie, finally getting a chance to catch up on blog reading, there is still so much colour around in gardens and in the recent glorious weather it is fab :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm way behind too Rona - I hope you are getting the weather over there too. It will be a pleasure to be out and about in the nursery if you are.

      Delete
    2. The weather has been fabulous, getting lots done and enjoying the views too :)

      Delete
  8. Your garden has lost nothing with the change of seasons. Give Emily Mackenzie another chance. In my experience, she takes a season off every once in a while, only to return the next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So what you are telling me is Emily is a bit lazy then :) Hopefully she will appear as you advise.

      Delete
  9. Your roses are so beautiful, Angie! Happy October!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ance - and a happy October to you too :)

      Delete
  10. You have some incredible Roses, and I'm very jealous! Sometimes I get a second bloom out of my Roses, but not this year. I guess it's because it was an extra shady growing season because of the cooler weather and plentiful precipitation we had at the beginning. I'm happy the trees are healthy, but it cut down on my blooms this year. Wow, that collage of blooming plants is lovely, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad to read you have not had a second flush from your roses Beth, hopefully next year you will. And here's hoping we both have a decent summer next year.

      Delete
  11. As usual, Angie, your garden looks spectacular. I love the colors in every season but they seem especially fitting for the fall season. Your roses put my pitiful specimens to shame. Your comment about how well Salvia 'Amistad' has done during your relatively cool (and wet?) summer was interesting - mine was doing fine despite our heat and dry conditions but it's now completely tuckered out and appears headed for the compost pile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Kris, the colour in the front garden is especially suited to autumn. That was not intentional but a pleasant mistake :)
      Conditions have been dry - not wet here this none summer. Perhaps that is the reason the Salvia has done so well. I will take cuttings from mine like I did last year as they are expensive plants to buy. Do you do the same or replenish with new plants?

      Delete
  12. You have yellow, I see it!;)) Thanks for this autum impressions, the last two weeks we had good weather and the garden is looking beautiful in scotland.

    Sigrun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You spotted the yellow Sigrun - I thought you would :) We often have a good September here, the calm before the storm you could say.

      Delete
  13. What a lovely front garden! This is beautifully and thoughtfully designed and full of gorgeous flowers and foliage not to mention the scent from those roses. What a treat it must be to come home and how wonderful too for passers by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the passers by do comment often. I makes me quite proud really.

      Delete
  14. It was great to see both sides of your garden. Hope to see more in the future. I really like the arches and the border-fence that you have. Beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you KL - I wasn't sure about the trellising on top of the fence at first but it has grown on me.

      Delete
  15. Replies
    1. Have you read the book Lucy? I haven't.

      Delete
  16. Beautiful end of month post, Angie. I am sure your roses would benefit from some farm yard manure. I am always a little cautious about using it in case weed seeds come in with it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have a tender salvia (Salvia guaranitica 'Blue Enigma') that is tender and which has flowered well in the slightly shadier spot, whereas I have one in full sun that's only now thinking about flowering. They are supposed to be sun lovers, but I guess plants can surprise you.

    That chocolate rose is lovely. And I love the colour scheme in general. I think I've said it before, but it's really warm and gorgeous. Great gardening Angie.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That rose is really something Angie! Very impressive. I was interested to learn recently that not all Salvias are sunworshippers... I love Salvias too and was delighted to find three at a tiny nursery in Leicestershire whose labels said they'd be happy in partial shade, so I took them home to my very dark garden, where all three have done well all summer, despite our terrible weather.
    Cosmos tubers??? I have not heard of this... you mean I can dig up and replant my cosmos? I thought they were just annuals. Please give some instructions!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your roses, especially 'The Lark'. Your garden is looking great! Don't you those early fall days when there is just a hint of coolness and low humidity?

    ReplyDelete
  20. È incredibile la continuità che hanno le tue piante, sono proprio belle per tutta la stagione! Qui è diverso, sono splendide nel pieno del loro ciclo ma a questo punto alcune sono inguardabili. Credo che per quello che riguarda le perenni tu vivi in un vero e proprio paradiso climatico! Non fraintendere, la bravura è tutta tua ovviamente :)

    In ogni caso credo che mi godrò le tue piante per molto tempo :)

    Un saluto!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've had problems with the otherwise lovely Emily Mackenzie too Angie, such a shame, as it is a stunner. Love your chocolate rose, almost tempting, and I don't "do" roses!

    ReplyDelete
  22. We were just discussing at the weekend about Scotland finally getting summer. Hooray! It all looks very lovely - especially with that clear blue sky. Actually, I think every arch should have a central Iris ;-)
    I have made a note of Lark Ascending - it's always good to read about a rose which is beloved of bees - so many aren't. Shame about Emily Mckenzie - she would have looked lovely in your garden scheme.

    ReplyDelete
  23. As always Angie your garden is looking in superb order, despite the fact that roses are meant to be an easy staple of the well lit garden they can still be very fickle.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.