Monday, 7 September 2015

Tree Following September 2015- Sorbus Autumn Spire

It's the seventh of the month therefore it must be time for this month's Tree Following Post.  The days just seem to blend into weeks right now.  Where have the last 4 weeks gone?

The nights now are drawing in and there are signs of autumn here and there in the garden.  I may have done little else but moan about our lack of summer this year but this last few days has saw a huge improvement on what's gone on in the previous 3 months.  For the first time this year it actually feels like summer.  Calm before the storm?  Who knows!?

Sorbus Autumn Spire September 2015
As the name would suggest my rowan tree, Sorbus Autumn Spire, should come into it's one over the next month or so.  Purchased and planted for autumn colour, there are the slightest hints that autumn is on it's way.

Berries are not abundant, there are no more than 20 on the whole tree.  Being a young tree I suppose I should not expect too much.  I can see from the window that the Rowans growing wild along the river nearby are a mass of red berries right now.


First signs of reddening of the foliage.


 
Might there be time for this lot to ripen?


If I aim my camera down behind the plants, you can see there are weeds.  I am generally a bit of a weed freak and am usually on top of weeding.  I have been guilty of neglecting my weeding duties of late.  I am certain Mare's Tail has not been an issue in this area before.  I need to get on top of this tout suite!
 
  
 The mid day sun provides some shadows on the fence behind.



My knees are already aching at the mere thought of a week's worth of weeding.  I hope you have something far more exciting and a lot less labourious planned!

24 comments:

  1. Lovely tree with berries and the promise of autumn color!
    Wonderful shadow on the fence photo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lea - I chose the right time of day to get some pictures I think.

      Delete
  2. Angie, I particularly like the berry colour on Autumn Spire, Our youngest Daughter who lives in Fife was just saying how beautiful the weather had been these last few days. Summer here hasn't compared with last year, not terrible, generally a bit warmer than Aberdeen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The berry is a nice colour Alistair. This tree is a sport of S. Joseph Rock, which is another beautiful tree. Glad your daughter is enjoying this late appearance of summer too.

      Delete
  3. Lovely to see your 'fledgling' rowan. They are such lovely trees. I always think of rowan berries and heather when I think of September in Scotland. Glad you've had a bit of an Indian summer at last. Thank you, Angie, for your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Caroline. Yes rowans and heather are synonymous with Scotland.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you're getting a taste of summer before fall arrives. The berries on your Sorbus are lovely. I'm envious of the fall color you have in store for you as the weather turns cooler and the days shorten - there's never much in the way of fall color here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Kris. I suspect you are fed up hearing me complain about our poor summer.

      Delete
  5. This tree is beautiful in every season, but I can see how the berries and the changing foliage will really make it shine in the garden. We're starting to see a bit of color in the leaves here in the Upper Midwest U.S., but not much because it has been very hot (32C to 35C for highs) and we've had plenty of rain. This week will be much cooler (21C to 24C, and cooler on the weekend), so the color changes likely will become more obvious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really small last year and did not make much of an impact hopefully will make a bigger statement this year. It's cold here at night I suspect our first frosts won't be too far away!

      Delete
  6. It's getting exciting, Angie :) I hope the show isn't over before next tree-posting day as I would hate to miss watching your young Rowan colour up! And I love the leaf shadows on the fence...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to take weekly shots just in case Amy. It came to my mind that it might just be gone before next month. Watch this space!

      Delete
  7. I'm with Amy - I'm looking forward to the next tree-posting day. Here's to a great show. Thank you for showing us your weeds, it is always reassuring to see weeds in other people's gardens. After all this rain, weeding is on the agenda here too. Let's hope we don't all end up posting on the state of weeders' knees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't often see weeds on blogs do we Sarah. It's amazing just how much the camera can miss if we put a bit of effort into it.

      Delete
  8. The yellow berries are great. Yes the reds are good, but it's great to see a different colour Rowan berry, and I love how they compliment the red stems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have a Pyracantha with yellow berries Julieanne - they stand out better I think.

      Delete
  9. I'll need to do some catch up weeding this weekend. The squirrels are eating most of the berries on my fruiting shrubs before the fruit is even ripe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my weekend filled too Jason. Although I have promised to do a couple of hours babysitting early Saturday. I hope the weather is good so I can have him in the pram outside with me.

      Delete
  10. Oh weed - everywhere in the garden, it grows so quick. Each day new, I think, I let it grow a bit, you can weed it better, when it is a bit bigger.

    Sigrun

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I with you Sigrun - wait until they are a bit bigger and easier to get out.

      Delete
  11. Such a dramatic picture - the one against the deep blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the shadow portrait ... neat idea, must keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh those berries are a most attractive shade Angie and perhaps less tempting to birds than red 'uns. Let me know if you have any joy cracking the mare's tail. I've been battling against it for years at the allotment and guess who's winning?

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is a good garden tree Angie, as it has such a lot to offer, and is also nice and compact. Next month's shot will look very different I guess!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.