Saturday, 8 August 2015

Tree Following August 2015 - Sorbus Autumn Spire

Unlike the neighbouring Laburnum tree, my Rowan appears to be holding it's own against the strong winds.  Obviously both trees have decidedly different growth habits and whilst the Laburnum is loosing new stems/branches at a worrying rate, the Rowan is showing no signs of wind damage what so ever.  I point this out for comparison because both trees were purchased because of their said tolerance of the wind or for exposed coastal areas.  It can get windy here, some mature trees nearby have a distinct wind swept look and grow at some odd angles.      


Sorbus Autumn Spire has continued to put on a bit of height and pleasingly is filling out a bit too.  I forget now which shrub this tree replaced and I worried if the surrounding plants may have detrimental effect on the tree's ability to settle in but it appears not to be the case. 


This wider shot give a better idea on how dense the planting is round about.  I much prefer dense planting like this.  I hate the sight of bare soil and this is a fool proof way of keeping the majority of the weeds down. 





I mentioned last month that there was very few berries on the tree.  This month there are even less. Is the snail I found snuggled up in the centre of the tree the culprit I wonder!  The birds continue to use the small feeder hanging on the tree.  Mainly sparrows just now along with the odd blue tit or two.

I am on neighbour's tomato plant watering duty at the moment and I just happened to noticed that she has planted, what I think might be the dreaded snowberry (Symphoricarpos albus), on the other side of the fence from the Rowan Tree.  How have I missed this?  It's quite sizable too, although at the rate it grows here it might only have been in the ground a month or so, for all I know.  I know it is not my garden and what she plants should not be any of my concern but some of you may remember she has a penchant for plants that tend to sucker or invade or dare I say both!  I will need to keep my eyes peeled for signs of it suckering under the fence. These plants are very invasive in the conditions here and if I dare take my eye off the ball for a moment it will over run this area in no time. They have a hedge of this stuff at the top end of their garden, she is always complaining about it.  I must remember to point out to her that this is the same plant.  I hope my power of persuasion works. Wish me luck in that department.

That about sums up this month's Tree Following post.  A big thank you to Lucy for hosting, please pop over to Loose and Leafy to read more tree following posts.  See you there, I've lots to catch up with.  

17 comments:

  1. Interesting how differently plants behave "at home and abroad." The dreaded snowberry (S. albus) is native to pine forests here in Wyoming and not aggressive at all ... just scattered plants! Or is yours a cultivar?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would suspect that the snowberry growing here probably started off as a cultivar at some point Hollis. I managed to remove all the ones growing profusely in my own garden when I moved here in 2007. It was hard work at the time but glad to say worth it.

      Delete
  2. Your garden looks nice, I love those long spikes of Ligularia on the background. And what about that snowberry, I hate them, here they are invasive too. You do have to keep an eye on it that it does not grow under the fence into your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ligularia is one of my favourite Janneke. Grows well here. Sorry to read that it's a bother over there in Holland too! I will be keeping a close eye on it.

      Delete
  3. The Rowan is fitting in quite nicely, I'd say. I like dense plantings as well (although I'm having a hard time achieving this in some areas) - in addition to keeping weeds down, plant density keeps the soil shaded and slows water evaporation, which is a major boon here. I hope you can get your neighbor to reconsider her tree choice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, retaining moisture is another reason for planting densely. Although unlike you not an issue here. I am hoping to broach the subject with her at the first opportunity Kris. She is approachable that way. We shall see.

      Delete
  4. Didn't know Snowberry was such a problem in the UK. I have some in my garden, but it is native here. Are those yellow flowers Ligularia? Or some kind of mullein?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure just how much of an issue it is elsewhere but here in my garden and the surrounding gardens it doesn't take long to take hold. I have a constant battle elsewhere in the garden with it and all I can do is haul it out as and when I can see it. It suckers from another neighbour in through my hedge and can't treat it with herbicides because of the hedge.
      The yellow blooms are Ligularia The Rocket. I can thoroughly recommend it if you have the right spot for it.

      Delete
  5. Your trees look healthy and happy in your lush and densely planted garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Peter. I'm very pleased with this area.

      Delete
  6. On no, not the dreaded snowberry, the Devil's own plant. I spend my life trying to get rid of it. Hateful thing. Your Rowan is doing so well and as usual the planting round it is superb.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had wondered if many other folks found this plant to be a problem. It seems so judging by other comments too. It's obviously none to fussy for conditions since ours are complete opposites.

      Delete
  7. Hello Angie girl !
    I had to look this tree up and then was surprised to read it was part of the Mountain Ash family .. such beautiful red leaves in Autumn .. it will be a show stopper for sure .. and the berries for a Rowan jelly sounds wonderful.
    We never get to our berries on Autumn Brilliance serviceberry ... the birds beat us to it every time ... but we don't really mind .. everything in the garden is up for grabs .. that is how it is planted ... now they are into our grapes ! haha ... Oh my goodness ... good luck with your neighbor that is a pain to worry about an invasive plant suckering into your area .. she should know better if she was not happy with the hedge , so mentioning it to her is a GOOD idea !!
    Finally some rain here .. so I can take a break from drought worry ... it has been a strange summer and you are right : ) Autumn isn't that far away !
    Great post and pictures girl ! I learned something about a new tree today thanks !
    Joy : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to have berries for the birds Joy, I am embarrassed to admit I rather lack in the kitchen department so attempting Rowan jelly would be way beyond my capabilities but it is certainly very popular. Rowans are popular trees here and steeped in folklore.
      Good to read you had rain, the garden will really appreciate it.

      Delete
  8. Your sorbus is settling in nicely Angie. Snowberry - aaaaaaaagh! I have one that I really need to get to grips with. My Dad gave me the original cutting so I've been lenient with it up to now for sentimental reasons. Perhaps you can gently persuade your neighbour to remove it before it develops unsociable habits.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The tree is looking good and I like it amongst the Ligularia and other plants. What neighbours plant is often a source of concern. Good luck with persuading her to take it out. If you know someone who can help her get it out, do make the suggestion. I've learned that people often do nothing because they don't really know who to call and worry about the cost, but if you give them suggestions, if can nudge them into taking action.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Luckily I do not have neighbors whose plants infringe on my garden except for grass...you remind me that my new tree needs to have a more weed free area around it. Your garden is looking so lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.