Thursday, 9 July 2015

Tree Following July 2015 - Sorbus Autumn Spire

The heatwave that appears to be hitting parts of the UK has skipped Edinburgh, it's still dark and miserable here during the day.  Low cloud hovers despite the brisk winds, sun barely appearing too at least give an appearance of summer.  The temperatures, although not cold during the day, remain at a constant low to mid teens.  It's depressing to say the least!

The wider view
 
My wee Rowan, Sorbus Autumn Spire, is surrounded by friends.  This area of the garden is not short on foliage, that's for sure.  I like all the textures and shades of green here at the moment, everything is looking extremely lush.  The scent from Philadelphus Belle Etoile is just intoxicating.  Good enough reason to hover up here as often as I can.  This shrub usually blooms mid June so is a good 3 or 4 weeks late in comparison to previous years.

By my reckoning the Rowan has put on around 5 or 6 inches this year and remains as columnar as the label described.  Which was the primary reason for choosing this particular tree.    The top of the tree silhouetted by the darkening skies.  I can hear thunder off in the distance.


Shiny green fruits have formed.  These will ripen in the coming months to a deep yellow.  Although we generally refer the to fruits from the Rowan tree as berries, they are in actual fact called Pomes. My wee tree my not be abundantly laden but I'm sure the birds will be appreciative of any that will be on offer later in the year.


Rowan pomes

Pests, I touched on the subject of pests that may attack my rowan in my previous post.  I can see none of the pests I can expect to find.  Namely Aphids, Blister Mite and Sawflies.  However, I hadn't banked on finding this cheeky little chappy taking shelter for the day.

Snail tucked up in Rowan Tree

I suspect he enjoys a midnight feast on the Ligularia that grows near the base.  Not that there's much evidence of damage.  Perhaps he prefers to travel a bit further afield for his meals.

Snail's eye view of the Ligularia

I'm linking with Lucy over at Loose and Leafy for my Tree Following posts.  You can join in at any time on or around the 7th of the month.  Follow the link for more details.  See you there!   

As a brief update on the kind of weather we are experiencing this summer, the forecasters told to expected temperatures of 1 to 2°C during the night and indeed, the frost warning was on in the car when I finished work this morning.  The thermometer in my car sunk to the lowest I can remember at this time of the year.  3°C at 4am this morning!  Snow was expected on the hills during the night here in Scotland.  What a summer, eh?      

33 comments:

  1. Gosh, your nights are cold! I thought my summer was cool, with highs around 24C and lows flirting with 10C. I had heard London and other parts of Europe have been warmer than normal, so maybe the trade winds have shifted? Your Rowan is a beautiful, healthy tree. I'm missing this meme this year. I decided to take a break, but I plan to join in again next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have escaped the heatwaves Beth, sadly!! Next year I intend to follow a tree not in my garden, I have my eye on one at the moment.

      Delete
  2. Yikes, you are having a cold summer! I hope it doesn't hurt your garden any - it looks great in your opening shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to admit to getting into a bit of a tiz re the plants. Especially the few annuals I am using in the front garden this year. Thankfully no damage done. I don't think I'll be forgetting (non)summer 2015.

      Delete
  3. It is really a strange summer, last week we had a heat wave with temperatures to 37 degr.C., yesterday we were so glad to get finally some rain and temp. went down to 16 degr.C. Today they warned us for frost tonight.......
    But our gardens are doing well, it's especially a good rose year. I love that Rowan, our neighbours have different types of Sorbus around their horse paddock of about the same size as yours. I like to see them grow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Odd indeed Janneke. I hope the frost didn't come to your garden. The up side to such cold weather is that I have been able to move a few plants around and they've not flinched one bit. Rowans are very popular here in Scotland.

      Delete
  4. Love the tree and any tree that fruits....but oh my that is cold and snow too...yuk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think trees that have berries are vital in any garden Donna. Yes, cold. Not sign of the snow, thankfully!

      Delete
  5. We're all complaining about the weather, one way or another...extremes seem to be the rule. Your tree is especially lovely silhouetted against that cloudy (sorry) sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it wasn't for the weather. I wonder what we'd all find to complain about rickii :)

      Delete
  6. On my goodness, it really is the frozen North up there. I hope you get some proper Summer soon. Still your Rowan looks wonderful outlined against that dramatic sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frozen north indeed chloris. I haven't removed my winter work gear yet! I am hoping for some sun at the end of the month, I've a week off work.

      Delete
  7. Slugs and snails murdered out ligularia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are particularly fond of a particular one of mine too Sue. It looks awful.

      Delete
  8. I've been watching the forecast for you for a while now, you certainly are having a tough time of it. I won't rub it in how hot it is here, cool for a couple of days but back to heat and humidity now.
    Your Rowan is looking very good also its pomes that the birds will enjoy later in the year, hope the snail doesn't take a fancy to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for not rubbing in it too much Pauline ;) I hadn't considered that the snail would munch on the fruits.

      Delete
  9. The Sorbus is looking great, and yes, colder, wet and windy too as I sit looking out the office window the trees are beginning to sway in the wind again, back to more like autumn layers in the clothing department :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'll be feeling it worse there there than we are Rona. I hope it doesn't keep the customers away!

      Delete
  10. Hope Edinburgh is warmer in September, when I'm bringing a group of gardeners to visit some splendid public and private gardens in and around the city!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too Pat. I'm sure it will warm up especially for you and your group. Sounds like a great visit.

      Delete
  11. An interesting tree, and great photo of the snail!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was lucky to catch the snail Lea. Had I not had to use my wee step to capture the fruits I'd have missed it completely.

      Delete
  12. Would happily send you sunshine if possible - we have more than enough at present! I love the delicate texture your little Rowan makes against the sky; so nice to think of having a whole canopy of that someday too! And it's great to see the fruits forming :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, one day it will have a lovely canopy Amy I'm sure. If only it were possible to send me some of your sunshine!

      Delete
  13. My ligularia is feeling badly due snails, Angie. All leaves have big holes:(( Hope yours is better. We also call Rowen fruit berries and they are edible, it's said they get sweet after first frost, lovely tree, I always enjoy red-orange berries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those snails prefer the purple leafed Ligularia in my garden Nadezda and tend to go easy on the green foliage ones. I hope yours recovers. Will it flower? I suspect one of mine won't.

      Delete
  14. Perhaps the snail has climbed up the tree to escape the ground frost, Angie. You are lucky he? hasn't nibbled the Ligularia.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Angie, Autumn Spire is coming away nicely and with berries to look forward to. ligularia, a favourite of the snails, I have been using those Jackson slug pellets as seen by Myra on QVC apparently they are totally safe to use. We have had a number of Philadelphus shrubs over the years none had the fragrance quite so powerful as the Belle Etoile. Hope the weather has had a turn for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a lovely Rowan. We have just returned from Skye and Kintyre (and apart from sun on Arran and Gigha), we shared your weather. If it's any consolation, sunny Suffolk is swathed in grey today after heavy rain yesterday ... All the Rowans in Scotland were in flower, looking lovely ... but I do have a particularly soft spot for the berries (but prefer to go north when the evenings are at their longest!).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Angie, your garden is looking good although at this period of the year we tend to have more "green" after the early flush of flower. The interesting anomalies are that both your Astilbe and the Ligularia are in front of mine down here, perhaps it is something to do with my shade. We have had higher temperatures than you but have also had quite a bit of rainfall.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your tree is beautiful. I enjoyed the sight of the snail enjoying its lushness! Wow, what cool temperatures. The weather has been really strange all over the world this spring/summer!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I am smiling to myself, as I read your 'hover' as 'hoover' which could be most amusing !!
    Your Rowan is a lovely shape, and very well suited to its spot in your garden. Looking healthy too!
    You must be really fed up of the weather - each grey day now is another lovely summer's day which has slipped away.Ours was very similar until a couple of weeks ago when it really warmed up and that lovely orb appeared !!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ciao Angie! Il clima è proprio l'esatto contrario del mio! Qui le Ligularia stanno proprio male, il secco unito al caldo torrido le fa appassire tutti i giorni! Io aspetto la pioggia e intanto mi congratulo con te per il tuo bellissimo giardino!!!

    Un saluto :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.