Thursday, 16 July 2015

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day July 2015

I wasn't quite sure where to start for this month's Bloom Day Post, there are so many spots in the garden that are really pleasing me and have gone way beyond my expectations.  I don't think I've ever been so pleased with how some of the plants are performing than I am right now.  Sadly though, the peonies didn't quite make it for bloom day.  The flowers have done incredibly well this year but much to my despair the torrential rain on Sunday finished them off!

Here's a glimpse of what you missed.  Two unknown peonies together with P. Sarah Bernhardt, Fragrant Pink Imp and White Wings.

The sunny border outside the back door.  Roses, Clematis, Geraniums, Astrantia, Nepeta and many more are putting on a fine show.  The only disappointment here is the white rose (R. Susan Williams Ellis) in the far corner.  Don't bother looking for it, you can't see it!  Although it has bloomed, blooms were sparse and growth very poor, it has barely reached 2ft in height.  It could be that there is too much competition but the other roses have done better with just as many plants competing for space. I tell myself that it's putting down roots, it makes me feel better about it.


Rosa Rhapsody in Blue, Clematis The Vagabond, Rosa Princess Alexandra of Kent
Clematis Mme Julia Correvon and Clematis texensis Princess Diana 

Geranium psilostemon, Phlox paniculata Violet Flame, Nepetas grandiflora Blue Danube and x faassenii Alba 
Across the way on the shadier side Astrantia, Polemonium and Candelabra Primula are blooming their socks off!  The blue lupin in the corner is a mystery - I could have sworn that I pulled it out last year.  Perhaps my memory is playing tricks on me.  The little mound in the foreground is Geranium sanguineum Inverness.  A neat little thing, which is the way I tend to prefer my Geraniums.


Through the arch, where sadly The Wedgewood Rose has not bloomed yet, the back borders are I feel still a bit mish mash but with a little work, a tweak here and there in Autumn I will try to correct that. I know the dangers of growing Aconitum but can't help but love them.  A. Stainless Steel, rises head and shoulders above it's neighbours.   The others in the side garden are horizontal due to my forgetfulness.  I completely forgot to put in the support it needs in that windy spot.  Here, in this corner it needs no support.
Aconitum Stainless Steel
    
On the opposite side, Ligularia przewalskii and A. napellus Gletschereis, try saying those two names together after you've had a few, are buzzing with bees.  The strawberry foxglove (Digitalis x mertonensis) is one of those aforementioned tweaks!  The beautiful red spires of Lupin The Pages are missing from this scene.  The cats decided to have a bit of a fight and brought the entire plant crushing to the ground.  Pesky cats!  Lonicera periclymenum Sweet Sue is also just coming into bloom.
Aconitum napellus Gletscheris, Ligularia przewalskii and Digitalis x mertonensis

Ligularia The Rocket is finally in bloom, this is another combo in the garden I love.  Trollius chinensis Golden Queen and Alchemilla mollis also getting in on the act.
Philadelphus Belle Etoile, Astilbe Deutschland, Ligularia The Rocket and Trollius chinensis Golden Queen

I took my eye off the ball in so far as the rambling rose is concerned.  My routine of tying in those stems fell by the way side this year.  Never the less, it flowers abundantly and with a bit of effort when it has finished blooming, neither the plant nor me will know the difference.

Rosa Felicite Perpetue

A few pots by the the arch, the Nepeta and Leucanthemum were lifted from the front garden, the cool weather meant that they transplanted into containers without flinching.  This cool summer weather does have some benefit.  The Calibrachoa and Begonia (pictured below) were plugs I purchased back in February.  This is the first time I've grown plants from plugs.  The cool weather I think has hampered the Calibrachoa.  I had visions of deep purple blooms cascading out over those pots.  Best laid plans and all that!

Nepeta Six Hills Giant, Leucanthemum Snow Lady and Calibrachoa Cabaret Purple


Out in the front garden there is plenty of colour.  By the front gate, Leucanthemum, Achillea and an unknown Daylily (not as labelled) with R. Lady of Shalott make a fine display. The scent as you walk through the gate is equally impressive!
Rosa Lady of Shalott, Leucanthemum Broadway Lights and Achillea Inca Gold

The view from the opposite side.  Both these roses (Lady of Shalott and The Lark Ascending) are by far the most impressive of all the new roses (planted 2014).  They are healthy, floriferous and extremely upright considering the weight that must be in those blooms.  Annuals at their feet are Begonia Burning Embers and Sanvitalia Aztec Gold.

Rosa Lady of Shallott and The Lark Ascending
Sanvitalia Aztec Gold and Begonia Burning Embers

The fading blooms of Achillea Fanal along with R. Port Sunlight in the opposite corner.

Rosa Port Sunlight and Achillea Fanal

Just for the record, other roses blooming in the front garden are Fighting Temeraire, the first flush has just gone over.  There are many buds waiting to open though.  Jude the Obscure.  This rose balls (I think that's the term) and I've yet to have a fully opened bloom.  Rosa Graham Thomas, I touched on the issues with this rose in my EMOV post and Rosa Teasing Georgia, although the blooms are open, they don't last very long and look rather mucky after a day or two.

Rosa Teasing Georgia
Thanks for reading and please, join me over at May Garden Dreams where other garden bloggers share what's blooming in their garden on the 15th of each month.  



38 comments:

  1. Well! I must say, the cool weather hasn't hampered your garden! It looks incredibly healthy and vibrant. You have 'The Rocket', too! It's a reliable bloomer here--reaching for the dappled sun, but doing just fine in the shade. Your roses are exceptional--the Felicite rose is so pretty along the fence. I really like your hardscape paths and fencing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The weather has had a slight effect in so much as things are blooming at bit later Beth but I think everything is just about catching up now as we are getting a bit of heat. The Rocket is growing in full sun here but the other is in shade and I feel both would cope well in either situation here as full sun in Scotland is a bit contradictory in terms ;)

      Delete
  2. Your garden is looking perfectly magnificent, Angie! Your peonies must have been quite a show; I love the single (White Wings, I assume?) I don't blame you for enjoying your Aconitum; I tried it a couple of times in the Midwest, but it dried out too fast - or perhaps I should admit I didn't know much about watering plants there, which is certainly true! Your roses are quite lovely :) And you've got such a nice range of heights in your beds. Many of the plants I buy out here are given a wide range of possible sizes, so planning for height is proving impossible at this stage... grrr... Anyway, I love what you've done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. You are right White Wings is the single white. The scent is incredible! I think the Aconitum need the moisture we have here to look great, I am already planning to move one of the clumps in the side garden to replace the white rose in the corner or should I say I am currently trying to convince myself this would be a better spot for it than where it is.
      I often get it wrong in so far as height is concerned but I can't blame the plants, I take full responsibility as I never read the label fully!

      Delete
    2. In wet old Devon I'm finding that plants often grow taller than the guide height printed on the label, it might be the same for you. Doesn't help us much, does it! Your garden is looking truly fabulous Angie.

      Delete
    3. I'm sure you're quite right, Jessica, because I remember that in Kansas City most of my plants grew broader and shorter than expected. And being as honest as Angie, I wonder whether I really check the labels as well as I think I do!

      Delete
    4. Jessica, yet the damp weather here often doesn't help with the guided height of some plants. Can you believe those pesky plants just don't read the label! How inconsiderate off them!
      Amy, not reading the labels is one of my many bad habits. On the other side off that coin, often the labels can be wrong too. I wonder if that's the reason behind me not taking the information in!

      Delete
  3. Your garden is looking amazing, Angie. Your combinations of flower colours and foliage are lovely. A real inspiration.
    I love the white single peony and the Aconitum Stainless Steel is so unusual. Your roses are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annette. The Aconitum is one of my favourites, one of the first plants I ever bought for this garden and have never seen A. Stainless Steel for sale again.

      Delete
  4. Your garden is really looking wonderful, I enjoyed looking at the great foliage and flower combinations and was scrolling up and down and again. The flower combinations with the apricot and peach coloured roses is magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janneke. I am so pleased with rose combos too. One of my better ideas (I hope) :)

      Delete
  5. Angie, July is very colorful and lush in your garden! I especially like blue and purple blooms. Wonderful garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tatyana, the blue and purple is one of my own favourites.

      Delete
  6. You are right to be pleased with your garden, Angie - it is over-the-top spectacular! I suffer from peony envy and yours are (were) gorgeous. But I'm absolutely in love with your roses, especially 'Lady of Shalott' and 'The Lark Ascending' - wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kris. I knew you'd like the peonies, despite the envy :) Those two roses are amazing and have to be in my top 3.

      Delete
  7. That border with the blue clematis is a sure winner, Angie! And I love that unusual Aconitum. You should be very greatful for the rain - we didn't have any for many weeks and my garden ressembles a desert. I'm pretty desperate actually. Enjoy the lushness and the flowers, superbe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grateful for the rain Annette but would gladly swap it for a bit of sun right now.

      Delete
  8. I love how your borders are crammed with plans and look forward to my new achilleas bulking up and looking as good as yours,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Achillea has proved to be one of the better ones that I've grown Sue. I do hope that the new A. Terracotta I've purchased to replace the ones I lost previously do as well.

      Delete
  9. Looking really good Angie, lots of great colour combinations going on there, the heavy rain has had such a detrimental effect on a lot of my plants too, such a shame when we spend so long looking forward to seeing them flower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope the bad weather hasn't kept your customers away Rona.

      Delete
  10. I love all the colors and textures of your plants and flowers! A lovely sight to behold!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Janice. I'm glad you enjoyed.

      Delete
  11. Dear Angie, your garden looks so pretty and you have so many plants in blooms. I think you did a fantastic job getting it to this point. Your feeling for great plant combinations is just astonishing. How about a new career as a garden designer?
    One plant that stands out for me is the rose 'Lady of Shalott'. What an absolute beauty it is! The big, fat, globular flowers are so incredible pretty. I would love to have this rose growing in my own garden.
    Wishing you a lovely weekend!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A career as a garden designer, that would be something worth considering Christina. It would be a dream to do some sort of college course or something along those lines......one day!
      Lady of Shalott is an absolute stunner Christina, I can see it through the window sitting in my armchair in the lounge. It really does cheer me up. Worth looking into if to see if you could grow it there or more to the point if it is available in the states.

      Delete
  12. What a burst of colour Angie, I have run out of superlatives! The Aconitum 'Stainless Steel' is particularly striking and is probably another one you have "forced" me to acquire at some point:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This particular Aconitum is a beauty Rick and one I've never found for sale here since I bought it a good few years ago. It's a plant that would probably like your conditions too.

      Delete
  13. Wow, your garden is like a floral extravaganza! Gorgeous! Too bad about the peonies, but they are fragile when it comes to rain. But you have so many other superlative blooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jason. The peonies didn't do too bad, in fact lasted a good bit longer than they would normally do. They caught a break this year!

      Delete
  14. So much is going right for you, it's hard to miss the few things giving you trouble. I especially love the golden hues near your front gate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All well when things are going right Ricki. I have a tendency to focus on negatives and I am slowly learning not to do so. I love that particular corner too.

      Delete
  15. Beautiful Angie, i can see why you are pleased, I especially love the photos of your roses in your front garden, all your hard work is paying you well now, maybe time to sit back alittle and just enjoy, Frances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully Frances, the weather is giving me little option except to sit back and enjoy. It does put the garden in a different light and off that I'm pleased.

      Delete
  16. There is so much that is wonderful in your garden Angie it is imposable to choose a favourite. I have found that some roses can take a couple of years to get their roots down and then start growing. I dug one up last year which had done nothing for two years put it in a pot while deciding what to do with it. Of course it is now growing well and flowering???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am now realising that I am perhaps being a bit too harsh too quickly with the roses Brian, a bad habit of mine I'm afraid.
      Plants always take heed when we threaten them don't you think Brian?

      Delete
  17. Your sunny border is stunning! It has filled in so nicely and the clematis on the fence is a very nice colour, which one is it? Give ‘Susan Williams Ellis’ another year or two and you will be happy you didn’t get rid of it, mine is still in a container and is doing much better this year, but it is year 3 so patience, patience! Loved the ‘Felicite Perpetue’, a great display tying in or not and I also like your ‘Lady of Shalott’ – think hard where I could place one in my garden :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Helene. the Clematis on the fence is The Vagabond. It's a very reliable group 2 I've found Helene.
      I noted your comments re SWE on your post and took solace from your comments Helene :)

      Delete
  18. I can't get over your roses - so amazing! And those clematises are simply stunning. Your gardens are just picture perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.