Friday, 3 July 2015

End of Month View

End of May 2015
Once again it's time to post our End of Month Views.  This meme is hosted by Helen over at The Patient Gardeners Weblog.  Some gardeners choose a single plant/view, others choose a wider focus on their gardens and some choose to follow a specific area of the garden.  How you use the title is entirely up to you.  This year I am following progress in my front garden.  The whole area got a make over back in autumn 2014 and I find these posts invaluable in making a note of what has worked, what has not or what might work with a little tweak here and there.


The first view you get of the front garden is looking west.  This is the view I get as I come out the front door.   As you can see there are pops of colour everywhere now.   The Tropaeolum speciosum growing through the hedge is just coming into bloom too.  It adds it's special touch at this time of the year. 

Looking west End of June 2015

Tropaeolum speciosum
Geranium robustum
There are not many negatives this month, I am in all honesty really pleased with the area as a whole and the few minor negatives are nothing that can't be put right.
  • Blue/mauve or white bloom are being removed as and when they flower (except G. Robustum, seen here).  They just don't fit in.  G. Robustum will find a new home in the back garden.
  • Rosa Graham Thomas is a poor performer.  Stems are weak and floppy, it needs support.  I need to think about replacing.
  • Dutch Iris, I. Bronze Beauty is not quite the colour I expected.

Looking towards the house you can see the vast height difference between Rosa Lady of Shallot (left) and Fighting Temeraire.   I think I may have been a bit too brutal whilst pruning a couple of the roses.  I sure that it will do the plants no harm and they'll catch up.  Or at least I hope as much!   I probably worry too much because these warts and all posts leave nothing to the imagination.      

Looking towards the house

Standing behind the Cotinus in the far corner looking outwards.  The stand out plant in this view is the new Alstroemeria.  A. Princess Kate has made a fine replacement for Geranium Brookside.  I am far more please with her than I was the Geranium.  I've cut back Verbascum Clementine, her faded blooms flailing everywhere had become a right tangled mess.  I will see if it produces a second flush of blooms before I endeavour to take root cuttings (my first attempt) to ensure I have replacements for next year.  Although I did read in a gardening magazine yesterday that I should be thinking about organising this about now.  Do you know when I should be doing these?  

Looking outwards.

I have identified a spot where I can transfer some of the Iris Indian Chief tubers.  There are 6 individual tubers (roots) but I think 3 should be suffice to produce a good sized clump in the future. The more I ponder over the front garden, the more clear it becomes that I have selected way too many different plants.  I think by selecting only a few choice plants and using them throught the space will create a bit of cohesion.  Because of the roses, I want to keep the scheme quite cottagey.  However, the colour scheme I am using is not really lending itself to the more traditional plants we associate with cottage garden classics.  I have no doubt that there will be much too and froing before I am completely satisfied with it.

So what's in bloom out there right now?    

Iris Bronze Beauty, is as I mentioned above, gorgeous but just not quite the colour I thought it would be.   


Iris Bronze Beauty

The first of the roses to bloom.  R. Lady of Shalott, Graham Thomas and Fighting Temeraire.   

R. Lady of Shalott, Graham Thomas and Fighting Temeraire

Almost there, Port Sunlight and The Lark Ascending.

R. Port Sunlight and The Lark Ascending
Achillea Fanal is definitely a keeper.  This one's a contender to be used throughout the entire area. A. Terracotta did not return after winter and A. Inca Gold is showing no signs of colouring up soon!

Achillea Fanal

Alstroemeria Princess Kate, a new addition to the garden last month.

Altroemeria Princess Kate
Lastly, a couple of new additions I purchased this week.  Both plants have extremely dark coloured blooms and I can see will contrast beautifully with the roses.  

 
Rudbeckia Summerian (Brown)


Cosmos atrosanguineus Chocamocha
That's pretty much all there is for this month's post.  The weekend is almost upon us.  I am now wondering just what I did with my time before little Olli (yes, my first grandson finally has a name) came along and I'm not even the mother!  Wishing you all a good weekend.  I intend to spend at least one of the days in the garden catching up with all the jobs I've neglected this last week.  Have a good one!

36 comments:

  1. Love the color scheme you chose for your front garden, I think it looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison, this colour scheme is totally out of my comfort zone but I am just loving it too!

      Delete
  2. Hi Angie! I read your profile, and I can see that you've made a great progress turning squares into a lovely tasteful garden! Your post made me think about color coordination in my own garden. Honestly, I don't follow any color scheme, and, as a result, there are some weird looking spots in my cutting garden. You are brave: "Blue/mauve or white bloom are being removed as and when they flower ... They just don't fit in." I should be more decisive and cut down, for example, my Nicotiana plants which look just wrong among other plants. Thank you for inspiration! I'll remember your phrase: They just don't fit in!
    Have a great July!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tatyana - many gardeners would probably cringe at the thought of removing plants in full flower but more often than not they do recover and I generally try to find alternative homes for them either in my garden or I give them away to friends and neighbours. Glad to have inspired you.

      Delete
  3. Dear Angie, what a difference in your garden from last month to this month, everything seems to have exploded into growth and color! I just love it the way it looks right now.
    The roses that you have chosen are so beautiful. I like especially 'Lady of Shalott' and 'Port Sunlight'.
    The Iris 'Bronze Beauty' may have turned out differently from what you have expected, but I think it goes very well with your color scheme.
    Lastly, the two new plants, the Cosmos and the Rudbeckia, are stunning with their brown color. Never seen any of them. You always have something truly fascinating to discover on your blog, just one of the many reasons why I love coming here.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend and lots of fun with Olli!
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the explosion of growth is marvellous and has filled the space out well Christina. R. Lady of Shalott is a real strudy strong plant and is probably the one that has done best from all the new roses. That said, it was a large specimen and cost me a fair bit of money so hopefully the others will all grow into such strong specimens too. Glad you like my new additions, I'm always tempted by plants that are just that wee bit different and given my colour scheme out here I can possibly get away with some of the more harsher colours.
      I am having a great time with Olli today, he's had a bit of a rough night, mummy and daddy are having a nap and I'm babysitting down stairs. Too cold and wet here to have him join me in his pram in the garden.

      Delete
  4. Il Tropaeolum è una bellissima scoperta !!! Il colore poi è stupendo! Tutto il giardino lo è , mi ricordo ancora gli inizi :)

    Complimenti!

    Ps : non vedo l'ora di vedere il sorbus questo autunno :D

    Un saluto!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pontos - I did not find the Tropaeolum, it found me. It was growing in the hedge when I moved here. I used to think it was a weed! This species nasturtium grows well here in Scotland and is widely available in some of the better nurseries.

      Delete
  5. I think you've done a masterful job with this area, Angie - it's beautiful! I'm generally guilty of using too many plant varieties myself (something I justify by chalking it up to experimentation) but, in your case, I think sticking with a specific color palette adds cohesion. I love all the roses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too justify too many plants by telling myself that too :) Glad you like the roses, I thought you would. The Itoh paeony should be blooming by next post. I know you'll like that too :)

      Delete
  6. I can't believe how much it has filled out in the last month. I deliberately didn't prune my roses hard this year as I was fed up with dumpy plants and most of them have flowered much better than ever before. I have thrown the pruning guide away!! Thanks for joining in again this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may just follow your lead Helen. The ones that are short and dumpy are indeed the ones I was probably a bit more brutal with than the others. Always happy to join in, it's a useful meme.

      Delete
  7. It looks like little Ollie entered the world at a lovely time of year there :) Everything is looking wonderful, and I must admit that Iris Bronze Beauty may go on my wish list from your pictures - not for this autumn, though, as I've already placed my order... I love the combination of roses you've got. In my (very limited) experience, Graham Thomas may be an all-or-nothing sort; mine is also getting off to a slow start,though I think he will pull out of it as the growth is firm. Love the dark-flowered rudbeckia, not to mention the alstroemeria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olli and my son are the only ones in the family with summer birthdays Amy. These rest of us are all December/January so I look forward to some outdoor birthday parties in the future :)
      My experience in roses is just as limited and it shows in my apprehension with them. To be honest, I nipped along to the GC earlier today and purchased a replacement for GT. I've purchased Summer Song, which I've fallen for after reading about it @ The Blooming Garden. It's full of buds and will keep it going in it's pot before I make the switch.

      Delete
  8. What a sumptuous colour scheme and very effective in your front garden- it looks very beautiful. The roses are looking great and the Lark Ascending is amongst my very favourites. Mine is grown as a short climber and is strong and healthy. Better than Graham Thomas. I grow mine with a find leaved santolina - Santolina E A Bowles which would probably fit in with your scheme too- soft yellow flowers. Thank you for the pictures and congratulations on your grandson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sumptuous, yes, that's the description that fits is best I think. The Lark Ascending was the first rose I purchased for the front garden after it was suggested to me. It's one of my favourites too.
      I am not familiar with Santolina - I must look up your suggestion. Thank you.

      Delete
  9. I love your gargen colorful combination Angie. Especially dark red leaves on the photo (cannas?). My verbascum is fading now and I will soon cut it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The dark red leaves you are possibly referring to is those of Cotinus Grace. If not that the other dark foliage is from a Dahlia and Begonia. I hope that the Verbascum produces more flowers later Nadezda. It did last year and to be honest, was not expecting it to survive our winter.

      Delete
  10. Your front garden is looking beautiful - what a transformation over the years! All the colour combinations work so well. Just seeing your photos of the roses and iris shows just how beautifully these colours blend. I love your new additions and have already made a note of the names!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Alison, I am pleased everything is working so well. The colour scheme is truly out of my comfort zone and I am just loving it.

      Delete
  11. It's all filling up beautifully

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Angie, all is looking really good in your garden. I was interested to see you with Tropaeolum. This plant would seed itself freely in our last garden. I always heard that it proffered the cooler Scottish climate. I am so pleased to see that it has taken a hold here in our Cheshire garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I could grow the Tropaeolum, Angie. I have tried several times from seed with out success. The colour combination of your roses work well together. I think Graham Thomas can be grown as a 'short' climber, it then forms a mature woody frame with short flowering spurs that doesn't flop as much compared to when grown as a shrub rose. I have seen it grown like this at 7ft tall in full flower, it looked wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderfull garden and summerflowers,,greeting from Belgium

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great garden post, I envy your rose ´Fighting Temeraire´ and.....the Tropeaolum speciosum, I tried this one several times but it definitely won´t grow here. About ´Graham Thomas´ I should say try it for another year on the same place and it will grow stronger. My experience with some David Austin roses is that they are weak and floppy only in their first year, but get stronger and stronger.
    I think your garden is a gem!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your front garden is maturing beautifully. It's a good idea to focus on a part of the garden that was established the previous year. You are starting to appreciate real growth now and for my EOMV I'm still looking at a lot of bare earth. I shall take a leaf out of your book for next year. Assuming I can get that well organised!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous. Love all the red and yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your colour combinations are so warm and vibrant Angie. You can have a cottage garden without pastels. You must be so pleased with the way it's all knitting together. I think that root cuttings are usually taken in the dormant season but I've never tried with verbascums. Good luck with them. The more I see of 'The Lark Ascending' the more tempted I am :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just love your golden-bronze colour scheme Angie, it’s lovely and there are so many different flowers to go with it. And great to hear the new arrival has been named, I bet you are enjoying the time with him, these first few months goes so quickly!

    I wish I could grow the Tropaeolum too, I know we have talked about it before for my previous garden, and I thought perhaps it would grow up my huge camellia. Now that I have moved and have a much sunnier garden I really don’t know if it would be happy anywhere here. How are the Crimson Cascade roses doing, I hope they are flowering well for you?
    Hope you have a good week, take care, Helene.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely warm colors in your garden! It's fun to see a color combo that's a little less common but works so well. The arbor is pretty. It's all looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your front garden looks wonderful, I love your colour scheme. I have never met a gardener like you who assesses every plant with such a critical eye as to whether or not it fits in with the effect you are after. If its not quite right then out it goes! You really are a perfectionist. It pays off though because everything in your garden really earns its place.
    I have never tried taking root cuttings of Verbascum. Perhaps you could give us a tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Angie, it is all looking very lovely, I love the colour combinations and the apricot shade roses, beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely love the colors of this garden...and how beautifully it is blooming...those rose colors are fabulous and I would love an apricot colored rose.

    ReplyDelete
  24. The colour scheme is really coming together and i can see why you want to move out the blues & mauves. It's looking quite full now and must be really pleasing to come home to.

    I love that Rudbeckia - what a gorgeous colour. Not one I've heard of before, but I'll keep a look out now. I've given up on Chocolate Cosmos, they always flower pitifully, even when brought full from a nursery, and I can never get them through winter. I'll be interested to see how yours goes given how much further north you are from me.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.