Friday, 31 July 2015

End of Month View July 2015

End of June 2015
This month's End of Month View post is really all about the blooms.  The front garden is quite floriferous right now.  Most of the roses have found their mojo unfortunately the daylilies are still looking for theirs!

As we move nearer to Autumn, the time has come for me to make some serious decisions on which plants I want to keep here and which will need to find alternative quarters.  Many have done well and although thriving, they feel kind of 'out of place'.  You already know that I've been removing those that completely clash with my scheme.  This came as no surprise to me as I rather hurriedly  filled gaps last year when I had no real need too.   Over stocking with plants is an awfully hard habit to break.  There is only one problem area I need to address.  The decided gap between the Anthemis and the Arch.  I've temporarily filled it with a pot of Helenium I had but it seems to me that the wind has caused the Anthemis to grow stiffer on one side than on the other and it looks rather odd.  It has caused me to take a bit of a dislike for it.  That and the fact I think it was wrongly labelled.   It is a good 30cm taller than I had expected it to be.  It's supposed to be A. tinctoria Sauce Hollandaise.  I need to find an alternative planting solution.  The hedge has been trimmed and some of the Tropaeolum blooms remain.  The Tropaeolum has liked the cool damp conditions this year. 

I have been receiving many compliments from neighbours and passers by on how wonderful the roses are.  Especially last weekend, we had a police incident (fire arms according to rumours) in the village last weekend, with no vehicular traffic in or out of the village for almost 12 hours.   This meant even more passers by than usual, nosy folks were out in force.  One lady even brought her OH back to see the whole garden and left armed with a list of plants she wanted for her own garden and a promise from me of supplying her with one or two or possibly 6 perennials I can easily propagate for her in autumn.

Standing in front of the living room window, you can see pretty much every thing that is in bloom right now.  To be honest, I had been expecting the roses to be taking a break right now and the daylilies to be the star of the show but it appears not to be the case.  I have a large pot of daylilies waiting in the wings.  I am waiting for them too bloom before I decide if they are right or not.  They are Hemerocallis Pink Damask and although the name suggests that they are pink, they are not quite and I feel they might just fit in with the colour scheme.   I should know in the next week or so when they finally bloom.  They really do need a home in the ground, they were lifted from the back garden last year and they are in dire need of getting their roots down. 


This is the view from the front gate, I have not found the heart to lift the Eryngium yet.  This is another casualty to the wind.  It is growing horizontally rather than vertically.  The Leucanthemum are quite dominating and although not quite fitting in with my scheme they stay for now as they don't look too bad, they are the best Leucanthemum I've ever grown.  L. Broadway Lights are a nice height and I have found they don't need staking like some of the others I've tried.  The dark brown Rudbeckia have really settled in, I hope they do well and come through winter, I'd like more of these but only purchased one pot as they were quite expensive.


I said at the top of this post that it was all about the blooms.  Just for reference really, a look at what plants are flowering right now.



The Achillea - there are three varieties growing.  A. Inca Gold, Fanal and Terracotta are plants that I've been particularly pleased with.  Although to be honest, I am struggling to see the difference between Inca Gold and Terracotta.  I wonder if they are the same plant with a different name.  I've read that this kind of thing happens in the world of plant breeding.   I like the combination of the Achillea and the roses.  These are definitely on my 'keeper list'.
left to right: Achillea Inca Gold, Fanal and Terracotta
Thinking towards autumn and the changes I need make I purchased a new rose.  One from my wish list.  DA's Rosa Summer Song.  This rose was originally on my must have list for the front garden but I could not source it locally at the time.  R. Lady of Shallot was its substitute at the time.  I found this rose for sale a couple of weeks ago and I could not resist.  Now that the blooms are opening I am having doubts about the colour and I can't decide quite where to place it.  I'll get there in the end no doubt!  The scent from this rose is absolutely gorgeous another reason I am determined to keep it.
 
Rosa Summer Song
Thank you for reading and a big thank you, as usual, to Helen over at The Patient Gardener's Weblog for hosting our End of Month View posts.  Please pop over or even better, join in - everyone's welcome!  I'm off now to catch up with what's going on in your garden right now.

33 comments:

  1. Ci credo che la gente fa i complimenti!! Mi piace tantissimo, soprattutto i Leucanthemum, qui sono perenni che vengono usate molto poco purtroppo. I tuoi mazzi dominano davvero il giardino in questo periodo!! Ancora complimenti ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pontos. I think Leucanthemum are making a comeback, there seems to be more and more available here. Perhaps they will regain popularity over there with you too.

      Delete
  2. Oooh, Summer Song is gorgeous. I love the dark brown rudbeckia too. But your whole garden is looking just splendid Angie, I wouldn't change a thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica, the dark brown rudbeckia is gorgeous - I am willing it through winter. I want more!

      Delete
  3. Hello Angie girl !
    I can see why so many people lust after your garden : ) it is beautiful .. and the roses are still smiling even in the rain .. I am hard on my roses .. I demand a lot of them and yet I don't baby them enough (guilt guilt ! haha)
    Yes ! we do share a lot of plants .. the leucanthemum was one I wasn't all that eager for but I found "Real Glory" and the center intrigued me so that I have 2 of them along the long border .. I used to have Miss Willmott's Ghost eryngium and loved it .. I am going to try again next year with Big Blue .. is it crazy to start my list already ? Nah!!
    Parts of my long border are totally out of sync for height variations .. I am going to try and "fix" it before next year or it will drive me nuts over the winter ..and we have LONG winters ! LOL
    You have mixed and matched your plants so well ! .. I am taking note ;-)
    I do see what you mean about the yarrow though ... I have no luck with it myself .. I had Strawberry Seduction and it totally lost interest in me ? haha .. That rudbeckia is eye candy for sure .. a "chocolate" plant indeed !
    I always meant to mention my father's family emigrated to Canada from close to your area in the late 1700's
    So maybe that is why we enjoy the same plants ... sharing some Scottish blood ? LOL
    Take care and thanks for dropping by my blog !
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy. It is not wrong to start making lists, in fact, I never stop making lists if that lessens your guilt any :) Yarrow has previously struggled in the less favourable conditions in my back garden, drainage here is far better and I keep my fingers crossed.
      So many canadians have good Scottish blood running through their veins Joy. Do you research your family tree? My grandfather's sister married a Canadian soldier during the war and moved over there soon after the war ended.

      Delete
  4. I really like your front garden golden colour scheme!
    All your hard work is paying off this month, and your front garden is a joy to watch – no wander your neighbours are paying you compliments :-)
    I also have H. ‘Pink Damask’ it seems like the colour changes depending on what you put it together with – sometimes I think it looks a bit apricot but most of the time I think it looks more strong pink.
    I hope your summer is coming back now too after the cold spell, enjoy the week-end :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank Helene. I also see H. Pink Damask as being a bit apricot which is why I am thinking it might look good out here. I no doubt will have more to report on that in my bloom day post. I've given up on summer I'm afraid! Have a good one yourself.

      Delete
  5. You should of opened the garden and charged for viewing Angie. Gardening to a particular colour palette is not that easy, plant colours are often different to that described on the label. You have plenty of colour still in the garden considering all the cold and wet weather you have had this summer. Teasing Georgia looks a lovely shaped rose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not considered how difficult this particular colour palette would be when I set off Brian. I have come home with countless plants only to find they just don't fit in! I will get there in the end, I just need to have a bit more patience.
      Teasing Georgia is a lovely shaped rose. I think they call that shape cupped.

      Delete
  6. I was looking for helenium Ruby Tuesday but it was sold out so I ended up with Chelsey. I've also been thinking of alstromeria. Are there any low growing varieties that you would recommend.

    I can see why you are getting so many compliments, The garden is lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some of these Heleniums are pretty much identical in flower colour Sue. I already grow H. Moerheim Beauty, which is another beauty.
      I only grow the two Alstroemeria above, both of them are quite short. The princess series (which A. Princess Kate is included) is recommended for the front of the border and quite short. Have a look here Sue. http://www.alstroemeriaselect.co.uk/

      Delete
  7. I know the tendency of the gardener to see what's off but your front garden is magnificent, Angie! I'm surprised you didn't have more lookie-loos hanging about your garden (especially if word gets out that you'll propagate plants for them). I love your color scheme and that 'Summer Song' rose. I've never grown a David Austin rose (I don't grow many roses at all due to their water needs) but I'm thinking I might need to try one out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your front garden is wonderful, of course passers by give you compliments they are so right. I don't know the rose Summer Song, but it's definitely a beauty and scent is so important. The one on your picture is not Achillea 'Terracotta' because I had that one once. In the past I had many Achilleas but after some years they disappeared, I planted new one but they disappeared again. Problem is my wet soil. I also cannot keep Rudbeckias and they are so nice, but I don't try anymore.
    Wish you a happy new gardening week, enjoy the compliments of people they give you spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I gardened streetside, I enjoyed having passersby engage. Only a very few overstayed their welcome. Others brought me plants from their own gardens. I can see why people are drawn to yours. The colors sing to me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is looking superb Angie, I love your colour palette, I find I have more and more plants in these colours. I love Summer Song, David Austin describes it as ' Burnt Orange' .It is much brighter than the Lady of Shallott or Lark Ascending but still heavenly. All these roses blooming in August- amazing! You have so many beautiful plants I don' t know where to start, but the brown Rudbeckia is gorgeous and new to me and I love the Verbascum.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is looking superb Angie, I love your colour palette, I find I have more and more plants in these colours. I love Summer Song, David Austin describes it as ' Burnt Orange' .It is much brighter than the Lady of Shallott or Lark Ascending but still heavenly. All these roses blooming in August- amazing! You have so many beautiful plants I don' t know where to start, but the brown Rudbeckia is gorgeous and new to me and I love the Verbascum.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Personally I love it when nosy passersby poke about the garden and ask questions. You should certainly take it as a compliment. I sense that you are more determined and ruthless than I when it comes to enforcing the color palette. I do like your selection, especially since I am fond of orange. If you want a shorter orange daisy-type flower with a very long bloom period you might want to try Helenium 'Short'n'Sassy'. As the slightly obnoxious name implies, it is very compact with sturdy stems, I'd say it stays under 24". Oh, and I meant to say - your garden is looking fantastic, especially love the selection of roses.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Angie, as usual I so enjoyed reading your post! Your front yard looks absolutely spectacular! I simply don't know how you do it... The photo taken in front of your living room window is a killer shot, definitively worthy to be published in a garden magazine. My absolute favorite plant is the 'Lady of Shallot', this rose is sooo... beautiful!
    Wishing you a great new week!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, yes, you ended with a true beauty. That 'Summer Song' rose is stunning! Lucky you, to still have roses flourishing. They views, from both the living room and the front, are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your orange boarder in front of the house looks beautiful - all the roses!

    Sigrun

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks absolutely wonderful. I love the fact that your garden became a highlight for passers-by on what might otherwise have been a frustrating day. I agree, 'Summer Song' is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Angie, what a rose Summer song! beautiful! love how your garden changed and blooms. Especially your third photo is very colorful, full of blooming plants.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love the word, floriferous, Angie! What superb blooms. We have had five good days in a row ... but I can see the wind getting up now, so guess our rose petals won't last long! Thank you for your comment on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Angie,

    Looking very well in your garden at the moment!
    I love your colour scheme and it makes me realise that I really ought to have more warm colours in my garden. I did have more with the addition of Heleniums but they've all been taken over by the flat-topped Aster. Luckily though Ragworts have returned this summer and are adding lots of yellow around the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh, your front garden is very floriferous now, no wonder people are stopping to take a good look. The scent must be wonderful with all those roses. I rather like that Verbascum Clementine. I've not liked verbascums in the past, but I learned that it's just the standard ones with the mouldy like foliage I don't like, I do like the type you have, it's lovely.

    I wouldn't worry too much about the hemrocalis being in the pot. They seem to be pretty tolerant - I have one that needs potting out - 3 years ago! And it's still flowering. Poor thing, I must rescue it sometime. For yours, if you only have just got it, I wouldn't worry about it being in the pot for another year or two ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looking good, Angie (guessing the day;lilies are out now :-) Given the rain we've had I hope your roses have faired okay :-)

    I would suggest you have made a false statement in your profile, Angie :-) Yes, you are clearly an 'active' gardener but I wouldn't put you in the category of 'learner gardener' - not at all!

    Thanks for sharing the wide variety of plants you are growing and adding to your garden. A plant in a garden centre bench or as a photo on websites and plant catalogues is one thing but seeing plants in real garden environments helps so much more. I'm sure you've inspired others in plant selections - good job :-D

    ReplyDelete
  22. What can I say Angie, other than you continue to produce a cornucopia of delights. I have one container of Hemerocallis which has been left in a rather too shady corner this winter and consequently refused to produce flowers this year which shows just how critical conditions can be.

    ReplyDelete
  23. That shot of Summer Song is fabulous! I think I could fit one in very nicely next spring... ;-) Achillea is also on my to-grow list; I'm glad you find they are combining well with the roses; yours look lovely! I'm not surprised people are taking a look - and, no doubt, a sniff or two with the roses and all - at your garden just now. It's really showing all the thought and effort you've put into it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow - everything is so lush and I'm astonished at how many plants you have in your plot. I love your warm-toned theme to your garden. Right now, my gardens have more of a "one of everything" kind of look going on and not really a theme or cohesive idea. I guess that is what each garden season is for - learning what works well and where, and then a bit of garden "editing." By the way, those rose blooms are gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your garden looks so warm and inviting Angie - no wonder it was drawing visitors in. Rosa 'Summer Song' is on my wish list too.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.