Monday, 8 June 2015

Tree Following June 2015 - Sorbus Autumn Spire

I am intentionally a day late in posting this month's Tree Following post.  Why?  Suffice to say that the neighbours washing was hanging on the line over the fence and no matter how hard I tried I could not get a shot without their smalls getting in on the act.  Apologies Lucy but I wanted to save C and D the blushes should they ever come across my post.

Sorbus Autumn Spire - June 2015
When I think back to last year when it was newly planted, the tree produced only 2 cluster of flowers.  This year, there are a total of 7 on the entire tree.  All are nearer the top of the tree and as vertically challenged as I am, I was not going to get a close-up without a hoist up.  Cue kitchen step!  Yes, I need a step to reach the top shelves of the kitchen cupboards too. 

The flower buds are just about to open and the foliage is certainly not as fresh as it was at this time last month.  The entire garden has been taken a fair walloping from the recent winds.  They have been relentless.  Today has been the first day for weeks that has been calm.



Checking back my 2014 records, I think it's fair to say that I have been wrongly assuming that many of the plants are weeks behind.  In reality they are no more than a fortnight behind.  The cold weather has not affected as many plants as I'd thought it had.  Thus far I have seen no pollinators or pests on or around my tree.  Pollinators have been very scarce and sadly greenfly are affecting many of the plants around the garden.  Aphids are generally not prolific in my garden but this year it's quite bad.  I have ceased feeding the birds for now in the hope that they'll help keep them under control.  Late frosts obviously did not kill them off.  Sorbus, from what I have read, are susceptible to aphids, blister mite and sawfly.   I shall have to keep a close eye on those aphids and I need to do a bit of reading up on the blister mites and sawfly so I am familiar with the damage they cause.

Nearby, Viburnum sargentii Onondaga has started opening those bronze buds.  
Viburnum sargentii Onondaga
  
A favourite of mine at this time of the year this globe flower, Trollius x cultorum Cheddar is also blooming.

  

Finally the early evening sun provides a bit of light and shade.
 

19 comments:

  1. Your tree looks lovely against the blue sky, hopefully it will get more and more flowers and therefore berries, each year. One arrived in our garden , brought in I presume by a bird, they are super trees and so good for the wildlife.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie I have to use a step ladder too.....your tree is wonderful and I love the leaf and flower. And it is increasing in flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that's a great reason to have delayed your post! The tree is making tremendous progress despite your weather. Your blue sky is reminiscent of ours. Weather here has been odd too but the effects on plants have varied, with some dying off in very early spring due to our March heatwaves, while blooms on others were delayed by the much cooler weather throughout May into June. The summer heat returned on today, however (I'm roasting!) - I'm having a hard time adjusting so I can't imagine the plants have an easy time of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor girl, neighbours wash was hanging!;)) When I make gardenfotos at the weekends, every day the wash is hanging - the very pretty boxershorts from my young neighbour!
    This vibirnum is very pretty, a friend of me have it and I'm looking for one for my garden. But my nursery kann not order it. In which gardencenter you have baught it (I'm coming soon). Thanks for your answer.

    Sigrun

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie, I know what you mean about washing as the pine I am following is next to my washing line so I take photos only when there is no washing out, I love your last photo of the sun on the leaves and background of blue sky, came to think of it I do not see a great number of pollinators on my rowan flowers there are other plants they prefer, I like the viburnum and trollius flowers, Frances

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely tree, birds like goldcreasts love them when they get a bit bigger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tree.. we planted a Sorbus aucuparia 'Rossica Major' towards the end of last year.. it too had 2 clusters of flowers this year, it will be interesting how many we get next year. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're right ... the trollius is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So lovely to see you're getting blossoms on the rowan at last! I know it can be a long wait with young trees, though I'm planning to do the same: order one or two very small ones come autumn. (The price and variety are both right ;)
    The viburnum is such a stunner with those purple tones.
    My own post is running late this month, but I certainly don't have as good an excuse...!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm also seeing lots of aphids this year. Not sure why. I think it was very dry and hot after winter. Now that it's raining so much, I hope they will go away. Love those blooms -- looks so nice and love that last picture on which there were light and shade. Huh! I'm also vertically challenged :-).

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a great tree Angie. And I like that Viburnum too.

    I too have steps to reach the higher cupboards in the kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You will have to give your neighbour's advance warning next month Angie :) We've had those cruel winds too. How exciting that your tree has more flower heads this year and well done on your initiative on getting the step ladder out in the pursuit of a photo. I'm not vertically challenged but do not cope well with heights.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very nice tree! I really like it's shape.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great to see the Sorbus looking well and I like Trollius too, bright bursts of colour for shady corners :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Rowan trees are a must have in a garden (even more so in Scotland). I do like the shrub Viburnum sargentii Onondaga, I have a young one in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very pretty! I like your choice for a tree, along with its blooming friends. I had to chuckle about the neighbors' laundry. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shot of the tree with a background of blue sky is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looking good Angie, Viburnums are one of my favourites although there seems to be more Viburnum Beetle about, like the idea of stopping feeding the birds to try and get them to eat the aphids, not so sure but interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Angie, I am sure C and D are grateful, might have been a laugh though. Good to see your Rowan developing well, love the last picture.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.