Monday, 15 June 2015

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day June 2015

First of all let me thank you all for the comments you have made on my previous Tree Following Post.  I am currently having intermittent broadband issues, it's been a bit of a hit or a miss if we are getting a connection this last few days. It seems to have rectified itself today but until I try to upload etc I can't be sure.

Because of the issues I will try to keep this post short and sweet!  Blooms continue to be a good bit behind the last couple of years, I had hope that they'd have caught up by now but it seems the plants have other ideas.  It will be interesting to read if others here in the UK, particularly in northern parts are experiencing similar.

Blooms in the top border have finally made an appearance.  Those Alliums have been in bloom for a while and the rest are now playing catch up.  The long awaited blooms of Papaver orientale Patty's Plum have finally appeared.  I think the name Patty's Plum is stretching it just a tad.  I'm not sure I'd describe the colour as plum.  There are many more buds to open.  Lupins, Aquilegia and Cirsium getting in on the act too. The Pyracantha blooms on the back fence, as does Clematis montanta Marjorie.


In need of work, the narrow section of the long border is full to bursting with Geum Bell Bank and Alchemilla mollis.  Whilst Geum Bell Bank is a lovely lookng flower, it's colour is a bit wishy washy for this section of the garden.


In the corner I hope to transform into a small woodland area one day, yet more Alchemilla mollis, Lamprocapnos spectabalis and the variegated Iris pseuodoacorus are currently fill the space. Aquilegia vulgaris Purple Emperor in the background is just about finished blooming.  It's looking rather scruffy now.

Over the shadier side, the candelabra Primula are just about finished, as is Lamium orvala.  Lupin The Page to the left of the screen is looking particularly good right now, it's strong scent is a bonus too.  The small yellow bloom in the centre is Trollius acaulis, a dwarf globe flower.  Corydalis Heavenly Blue planted earlier in the year is settling right in. I long for the days those fences are not so visible.



Through the arch, still on the shadier side of the garden, this bed is a real eclectic mix of plants.
I widened this border last autumn and moved plants around in a bit of a hurry, work is needed to balance it off a bit.  The only Heuchera, H. Binoche left in the garden now picks up the colour of the blooms of both Astrantia Moulin Rouge and Ruby Wedding.  In this border, the blues come from the Corydalis and Polemonium.  A couple of hardy Geraniums are almost in bloom too.  Clematis Scartho Gem at the far right is blooming it's heart out.  This is a reliable group 2 clematis that I find does not suffer wilt as can the others that I have gradually removed from the garden.  

On the sunnier side of the gravelled area is still rather green.  An unknown blue hardy Geranium is blooming alongside the first blooms of Clematis The Vagabond (another reliable group 2 variety). The white flowered catmint, Nepeta x faassenii Alba and yet more Allium Purple Sensation are also blooming here.  The variegated honeysuckly Lonicera x italica Harlequin is blooming in the corner, the scent is gorgeous yet the blooms just kind of fade into the background of the brown fence.

The side garden right now Aconitums and Peonies await their turn.  I am hoping that since all the peonies are so late they might have escaped the worst of the wind and rain and their blooms just might not suffer quite as much as they would in a normal year.  We shall see.  The variegated Rhododendron Goldflimmer is standing out right now, Along with some Geranium sylvaticum Alba.  The peachy coloured faded blooms of pink rhoddie are at that scruffy looking stage.

Rhododendron Goldflimmer

Out of shot and in the middle of all this the Zantedeschia aethiopica flowered this year.  Threatened with removal should they not buck up their ideas last year.  They obviously took heed.  I like it when a plant reacts positively to my threats.
Zantedeschia aethiopica

I bet there are masses of you with roses and other summer delights blooming this bloom day post but right now in my garden, there is only a tiny glimpse of what I hope will become a proper floral display of the roses in the front garden.  Yes, this is it, the only rose bud with even the remotest hint of impending colour.
Rosa Port Sunlight
Readers will know that the front garden is the subject of my EOMV posts and some of you might remember that all the Iris I brought along from my brother's garden have been very slow to get going in my garden.  3 years in fact.  This year it's a real mixture of pleasure and disappointment.  All the individual plants have opened to be the same variety.  For weeks I inspected each of the buds for signs of impending colour but eventually all 6 plants that have bloomed have turned out to be the same.  There are still around 5 plants that are foliage only so in the coming years I might just get something different.  According to the British Iris Society, the plants I have are possibly I. Indian Chief..  The colour is not disappointing, they all fit in perfectly with the colour scheme out there, so all's good in that respect.  But, there's always a but, isn't there?  The pale lemon dwarf Iris are just too pale and need to find an alternative home in autumn.  Another disappointment is of the 25 dutch Iris (I. Bronze Beauty) I planted back in autumn, only 6 of those bulbs have come through.  The first one to open is certainly not a bronze beauty either!  As you can see, it's clearly very blue!
Geum Totally Tangerine, Alchemilla erythropoda, Erysimum Fragrant Star and bearded Iris
Annuals Sanvitalia Aztec Gold and Begonia Burning Embers temporarily fill gaps for the summer  
I got round to finding a replacement for the Geranium renardii that did not fit in with my scheme. The plugs of Begonia Burning Embers I purchased back in February and brought on on the kitchen windowsill had been destined to be grown in a pot by the front door but then decided that they'd do a better job here in the ground.  I'm sure the more observant amongst you will notice those gorgeous red blooms too.  I just could not resist those when I was in a GC on Saturday.  Alstroemeria Princess Kate needs a permanent spot in the ground but for now, I'll keep her in the pot until I find the right spot for her when the roses are in bloom.  There will be plenty more to say on the planting out here at the end of the month.

Lastly, a close up shot of Alstroemeria Princess Kate.  The fact that she was purchased on the very same day that our very own Princess Kate had her first official engagement after the birth of Princess Charlotte is a mere coincidence.  I hope she like it here!

Alstroemeria Princess Kath
It's time now to pop over to May Dream Gardens and see what's blooming in your garden right now. Thanks for reading and have a great week!  

37 comments:

  1. What a disappointment that your bronze Iris is blue. It's very frustrating when that happens, and ruins the color scheme. But the rest of your flowers are very pretty. I don't know about your being behind, you seem to be on a par with us in the PNW as far as blooming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A disappointment I'll soon get over Alison. Although if they all turn out to be the same blue I will write to the sellers and complain. Perhaps the delay is something affecting all us temperate gardeners.

      Delete
  2. I don't know about the colour of the flowers Angie but I do like the poppy foliage bursting out of the lupins, the Zantedeschia aethiopica is beautiful, your borders are all lovely, I know I am supposed to be concentrating on the blooms but I can't help wandering in to thoughts about the lovely mix of foliage, such variety of textures, in your front garden I like the tall bearded irises with the small orange flowers (geum?), my mind is not seeing the pale yellow and blue irises, wishing us both warmer weather, Frances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Frances, sometimes the foliage effects are more luck than planning. A mixture of foliage colours and textures can be just as exciting, if not more so, than the blooms.
      Yes, the orange flowers are a geum - Totally Tangerine. It's a gorgeous plant and I hope to increase it at some point. I suspect in the future I will limit the blooms in the front garden for repetition to hold it all together. Most of the plants out there are new to the garden and I am unsure yet quite what will do well or not.

      Delete
  3. Your garden looks great, I love the Lupins and is that an artichoke in the back? Your front garden is beautiful too, there is always something going wrong, next year you put the blue Iris in the backgarden. By the way I have never seen Dutch Irises in a bronze colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea there was a bronze Dutch Iris until I came across it online. If it does bloom it will be interesting to see if it goes the exact same way as the orange crocus - they turned out deep yellow rather than orange. Marketing ploys!

      Delete
  4. Your garden always looks so good with your skilful use of foliage to set your blooms off. I love that stunning red Alstoemeria.
    I think all our gardens are later this year, I compared mine with last year' s June Bloom Day and it is a long way behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I compared to Chloris and was quite surprised at just how far behind some plants were.
      The Alstroemeria is far better in the flesh so to speak. I was lucky it was the only one of that variety left on the shelf. It really stood out amongst the others.

      Delete
  5. Wow...your Lupines, Rhododendron and Zantedeschia aethiopica are fabulous Angie and I also love your Alliums. I am enjoying mine for the first year in the garden. Your gardens look so lush and full. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can't fail to enjoy those large Alliums Lee. I am determined to add more this autumn.

      Delete
  6. I hate it when a flower I wait and wait to see blooms in the wrong color or a color that doesn't match my mental image (or the seller's tag)- it seems to happen all too often. Still, despite the little things that annoy you, I think your garden looks absolutely spectacular. Seeing peony buds like those in my garden would put me in a swoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plants in the GCs are often mixed up Kris and it is really annoying. These bulbs were bought from a very reputable company and as I said above, it they all turn out blue then I will write and complain.
      The peonies will be blooming soon, I'll make sure I do a post featuring them just for you :)

      Delete
  7. Dear Angie, reading your post, what stands out to me is the lushness in your flower beds, the harmonious color combinations and also the variety of plants growing in your garden. I always feel inspired to achieve a similar look in my own garden, even though it will take me ages to get there and our current drought is not really helping...
    I think my favorite bed in your garden is shown in the shot number five from the top. I just love the dark burgundy colored leaves of some plants in this bed together with the lighter green ones and the pink flowering clematis.
    It is really astonishing that just one rose bud is opening for you now. In my garden I am almost done with the second rose flush of the year. Amazing how climate affects the bloom time of the roses!
    Looking already forward to your EoMV, with probalbly more roses blooming.
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One thing we can always guarantee here are lush flower beds. It is a think a real benefit from gardening here in Scotland.
      I hope the roses are all open for the next bloom day post too. It is quite amazing how much of a diffeence the climate affects the blooms. I am though wondering if perhaps I pruned them a wee bit too late, these are lessons I will learn in future. I need to keep proper records re pruning etc.

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous! You've combined lovely shapes, textures, and colors--not only in the blooms, themselves, but also in the plants' foliage. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beth. I do like plants with attractive foliage it helps provide interest in the garden.

      Delete
  9. I think the Geum Bell Bank looks good in that section. Maybe you just need to add something brighter to compliment the area? I keep seeing this Geum in bloggers posts and thinking, I must get that myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julieanne. Don't go looking for the Geum, I'll send you some down. I'll drop you a note.

      Delete
  10. That alstromeria is a lonely colour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am presuming you are meaning lovely Sue :) Yes it is. I don't find red ones for sale very often.

      Delete
  11. Your garden is looking beautiful, lovely flowers with stunning foliage to complement them. Your Zantedeschia are beautiful, such lovely plants with stunning flowers! I like the iris in your front garden, Indian Chief, its an unusual colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Iris is a lovely colour and as you say quite unusual Pauline.

      Delete
  12. Immagini spettacolari! Sembra di sfogliare una rivista di giardinaggio! Sembrano dipinte le tue aiuole! Davvero complimenti! Ma chi ha deciso di cambiare il nome della Dicentra?? :D

    Un saluto!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just amazed that I remembered how to spell the new name Pontos :)

      Delete
  13. Lovely top garden Angie. Your Alchemilla mollis looks nice and healthy, I had it near my pond but when I replanted it I think it didn't like the spot. I also liked the irises, very pretty colors! And of course rhododendrons are beautiful as always.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that Alchemilla mollis grows happily in most positions Nadezda, perhaps you damaged it when moving. They are very tough plants.

      Delete
  14. Your garden is looking wonderful Angie, so much colour, I hope you get time to enjoy it too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been enjoying it this week Rona. All the decorating is finished now so even more time on my hands to potter about.

      Delete
  15. Just like you, I'm always seeing things here and there that could use a little tweaking. That's what keeps it interesting, right? Your garden is looking lovely this month. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linnae. You are right, the tweaking keeps it all interesting :)

      Delete
  16. Hi AngIe,

    Looking very good!

    Have you tried bringing any lupin blooms indoors? I have a large one in the kitchen that was going over and i can smell its perfume in the living room. Impressive. And I didn't even know until last year that they're scented after bringing some indoors after lots of rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz - I don't bring flowers into the house but yes, I discovered the scent of Lupins last year too. Maybe I read it on a post of yours. Those red ones above smell of pepper and they are rather lovely!

      Delete
  17. Short but oh, so sweet. Hope your tech problems right themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tech problem is quite intermittent and I suspect it's something to do with the siting of the router but I'm not finding time to play about with it right now. My son, who is a keen gamer, is having a bit of a 'moment' at the thought of me having to move it from the position it's currently in as it would seriously affect his game time!

      Delete
  18. Lovely to see how lush your garden is Angie, I think we are a tad late down here in the south too, although it is a bit difficult to say since my whole garden has moved and is currently in temporary lodgings in pots, but yes, a bit later than normal. I love your Alstroemeria, that red colour is my favourite shade of red! And your red lupins are absolutely lovely too, I haven’t had lupins in my garden for many years, got tired of the slugs eating them – perhaps I will give them a go again. Flowers in wrong colour, tell me about it….

    ReplyDelete
  19. HI Angie, that combination in the first pic is a real winner, well done! Love the contrasting shapes and textures. What a clever girl you are. :) Your garden looks very lush indeed - advantage of your northerly climate, I guess. Here things look a lot more tired including myself, haha. Happy summer days!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Angie, That's me just catching up on old posts. I love your tall bearded iris even if they are all the same. I too have been waiting for years for irises to flower and they have done so this year too. I would say we are about two weeks behind last year here, but probably about the same as 2014 as far as I can tell from the photos.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.