Wednesday, 29 April 2015

Bloom and Grow (April 2015)

At the beginning of the year, I set myself a goal.  The goal?  Visit a nursery or GC once a month with the aim to purchase a plant that would be in bloom for that particular month.  Easy, right?  Add to that the proviso that ideally it should be a species I had not grown or tried to grow before.  It still doesn't sound too difficult, does it?

The spot I had identified as needing filled with blooms this month was one that had previously been filled by Tiarella Spring Symphony.  I thrived there for 3 years until it finally succumb to the vine weevil larvae earlier in the year.  I mentioned previously that I no longer had the appetite to rescue plants that succumb.

I needed a low growing/ground cover, shade loving perennial, preferably with interesting foliage. Blooms in this specific area are provided later in the year by Hostas, Candelabra and Vials Primula. Soil conditions are moist but well drained.  Nothing too difficult there then.  Off I trotted around the shade section.  Up and down, back and forth - was there anything I didn't have already?  Yes, but Ranunculus Brazen Hussy was not for me, I worry that it might be invasive.  Lamium, Pulmonaria, Dicentra and Bergenia blooming by the shed load but none who's bloom colour took my fancy today. I was on the verge of looking elsewhere when I passed by the selection of Epimedium that were on offer for around the third time.  All of them beauties in their own right, I think.  Tucked in the corner was a pretty white flowered variety.  I know that I already have a few Epimedium in the garden, they are not new to me, was it worth breaking one of my rules?  Of course it was!  Rules are made to be broken, right?


By comparison, the foliage on this plant is less mottled than any other I grow.  the label states bright green foliage on red tinted stems.  You can see how those red tinted stems hold those crisp white blooms above the heart shaped foliage.  The buds look almost metalic.  You can see from the shape of the flower as to why it is commonly referred to as Bishop's Hat.  It's other common names are Barrenwort, Fairy Wings and would you believe Randy Beef Grass or Horny Goat Weed, according to Wikipedia.  I'm not even going to google that for an explanation!  


Seen here in the spot that it will call home.  It's new companions are proving very slow this year and are only just millimetres above the surface.  If truth be told, this whole area needs a bit of a reshuffle. All the plants I grow here seem enjoy this spot so it will just be a case of moving everything forward a wee bit and possibly taking out one of those Aspleniums.


As well as my own series of Bloom and Grow posts this year, I am linking with Jane over at Hoe Hoe Grow.  She too is on a similar quest.  I will be interested to see what newbie Jane has picked for her garden this month.  I can only apologise for not quite sticking to the rules.

26 comments:

  1. Dear Angie, this epimedium is just a darling plant. Who cares if you have other varieties of epimediums in your garden already? I love the bright green almost chartreuse colored leaves and the flowers are just so pretty in their daintiness. I always admire the plant combinations that you are putting together in your garden and this post is no exception. I leave your post feeling inspired and having the intention to plant my garden more densely, so that I too have plant combinations to look at and not so much barren soil between specimen plants. Lots to do in my garden to achieve this goal, though :-)
    Wishing you a lovely rest of the week!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You say the kindest things Christina. The fact that you feel inspired is truly flattering. To tell you the truth, I can't stand too much bare soil and tend to over plant to hide it. Hence the need for having to move things and extend borders.
      Of course my conditions are far more easier than yours and the challenges you face I can only imagine. Hope you have a great remainder to your week - I am busy painting the upstairs/downstairs hallway! Great way to spend the week off work. Mind you, we've had rain, hail, sleet and snow this week so I am not missing much!

      Delete
  2. Mi piace moltissimo questa cosa di visitare un vivaio ogni mese :D Direi che il tuo Epimedium bianco è un acquisto incredibile! Complimenti!

    Un saluto Angie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Pontos. I am lucky that I don't have to travel far to find a few good quality nurseries.

      Delete
  3. Wonderful choice of Epimedium Angie, but remember if in doubt plant a Geranium :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That made me smile Rick :) They are dependable aren't they. I've a few dotted here and there but can't say I'm terribly attached to them.

      Delete
  4. Excellent choice, I love Epimediums and have at least 10 varieties here. I haven't seen that one, look forward to seeing how it does with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great choice! I have several types, but not this one, and they are all spreading and growing well. What more can you ask?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great choice. I love epimediums and this is a beauty. Brazen Hussy doesn' t spread like the dreaded common celandine in my garden. If you let me have your address I will send you a bit and you can try it out. You can easily get rid of it if it looks as if it is spreading too much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can't have too many epimediums. It's impossible. I've just bought one that I think you already have, I'm sure it was you who inspired me... 'Ellen Willmott'?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, good choice! I didn't realize Epimediums had such [cough] interesting nicknames. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a lot of Epimediums, but not a white one. I think it was an excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is a nice little epimedium - and dark stems, Name is not important. This year I baught (given from my perennial gardener) 12 Brunnera Jack Frost - blue flowers. And what ist? 12 Brunnera Mr. Morse, white flowers. No time to be angry, they are nice, everything is white now.

    Sigrun

    ReplyDelete
  11. Epimediums are wonderful flowers, breaking the rules is ok, especially if they were on offer!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would certainly think the rule worth breaking for the sake of such a lovely Epimedium :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I tried epimediums once, Angie but the plant didn't thrive. Shame as they are lovely. By the way I split the persicaria that you sent inro four and potted them up to get them growing and I have four healthy looking plantt that are growing great guns, thank you, Remind me - did it have a name?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice choice, Angie, We call them Highland Flowers (epimediums). But I have no it in my garden. I should..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks a great choice to me. I love white flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Angie as you say rules are to be broken, I think they will be a lovely compliment to the white narcissus you have there already, they will echo the white flowers and the leaves will give the narcissus a frilly skirt, as you have so many different plants in your garden it will be hard finding completely new ones, so variations of plants will be the answer, Frances

    ReplyDelete
  17. Rules, shmules...you did the right thing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. If I could grow Epimedium, I'd buy lots and lots too! They're wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  19. That’s what rules are for – to be broken :-)
    I haven’t grown Epimediums before so a new plant for me, but with a new garden to plant I might get more space for new plants!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like how the white flowers have a hint of lavender.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am developing - one might say fostering - a bit of an epimedium addiction, so obviously I think you made an excellent choice!! Funnily enough, a white flowering one is next on my list...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great choice, Angie, I think the stems are especially beautiful and make such a fine contrast to the delicate green foliage. Haven't heard of this variety but I do grow four different ones and all seem happy, although 'Orangekönigin' seems the happiest of the lot.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I adore epimediums and can't get enough of them...

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.