Thursday, 6 November 2014

Recycling stepping stones

Some of you might remember the incident I had with the whirligig early in the year.  A brief reminder for those that don't - I tripped over my own feet and went crashing into it.  I not only completely snapped the metal post at surface level, rendering it completely useless, I lost a crown and cracked my front tooth into the bargain!    

Purchasing a new whirly, brought with it the opportunity to find it a new spot in the garden.  Where it had previously been sited, was at one point, in the dim and distant past the most practical place for it. That did however mean that planting in the area had to be dictated to allow for the laundry to waft freely.  This was not conducive to my ever increasing plant collection and certainly did not help in my urge to deepen and widen borders to make room for them.

A new spot further up the garden was chosen and in it went.  It's new position worked really well all summer and the fact that I chose one which hoists up means that it is not hampered by anything.  I gave myself a pat on the back, as you often do.

All was going well, until it rained rather heavily.  A few rainy days later, it was apparent that I needed some sort of solid surface on which to stand when loading and unloading the whirly.  The grass beneath was getting heavily compacted and further use, especially in winter/spring, would mean the whole area would become a quagmire.


I had some Marshall's Heritage paving slabs that I had previously from lifted from elsewhere in the garden. I was going to offer them up on Freecycle but never quite got round to it.   My forgetfulness paid off, it means I don't have to cough up for new slabs now.  They are, or will be, sandstone colour when I manage to get the power washer on to them.
   


Over the weeks between September to October, I tried out the individual pavers in different positions/spacing, moving them around until I got a layout that was practical.  The offset T route seemed to work best coming through the arch.  I continued positioning the slabs right up to the decking, it allows a natural flow straight from the house right up to the back of the garden now.

I've still got to lift the turf and sink them down level this will allow me to run the lawn mower right over the top of them when I mow the lawn.  The lawn that had suffered by my previous design attempt has now fully recovered - you'd never know it had been starved of sunlight for a couple of weeks.

All I need do now is work on a vista to the left of the step leading up to the deck.  But that is something for another day and another project.

15 comments:

  1. Good idea to move them round to get the position right before planting them. I went straight in then discovered a better solution! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to have projects but at the moment we have too many and no progress is being made on any of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like the zig zag route you have plotted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your picture crops the top of the whirligig - what does it look like?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks like a practical design. Plus, it's artsy and fun. Good thing you didn't sell those pavers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes procrastination pays off! My whirly line is currently prey to the flailing stems of the Jersulaem Artichokes. Not very usable at all, though with the rain we've been having, I haven't missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh dear, I didn't know and will surely look at whirlygigs differently in future, Angie! Look forward to seeing your new design imposed. Take care :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the arrangement of the paving stones - I hope the weather allows you to sink them properly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amazing what can come out of problems and the solutions that finally come to us...I like the path. It seems we never have an end to projects.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They are nice slabs, aren't they? Must make a mental note of Marshall's heritage. I like the effect on the lawn and it's clear that your feet will be drier1

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your patience has paid off! It looks good. You just need the chance to sink them in before you trip again! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your design looks good as well as being very practical. With all the rain we get in the winter it makes sense to have a path to get to the end of the garden. I must make on here as the top of the garden is out of bounds for the winter months!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think this is a good design and practical too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. reuse and recycle, sorry to read about your misfortune earlier in the year Angie I must have missed that post, I hope you got your teeth fixed alright, the stepping pavers look good and are sensible, you don't want to slip over on wet grass and mud, Frances

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think you designed the paths well, Angie. When I did paths in my garden I thought about the two-wheeled cart that I often use picking grass and leaves. Will you do it comfortable passing these paths?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.