Purchasing a new whirly, brought with it the opportunity to find it a new spot in the garden. Where it had previously been sited, was at one point, in the dim and distant past the most practical place for it. That did however mean that planting in the area had to be dictated to allow for the laundry to waft freely. This was not conducive to my ever increasing plant collection and certainly did not help in my urge to deepen and widen borders to make room for them.
A new spot further up the garden was chosen and in it went. It's new position worked really well all summer and the fact that I chose one which hoists up means that it is not hampered by anything. I gave myself a pat on the back, as you often do.
All was going well, until it rained rather heavily. A few rainy days later, it was apparent that I needed some sort of solid surface on which to stand when loading and unloading the whirly. The grass beneath was getting heavily compacted and further use, especially in winter/spring, would mean the whole area would become a quagmire.
I had some Marshall's Heritage paving slabs that I had previously from lifted from elsewhere in the garden. I was going to offer them up on Freecycle but never quite got round to it. My forgetfulness paid off, it means I don't have to cough up for new slabs now. They are, or will be, sandstone colour when I manage to get the power washer on to them.
Over the weeks between September to October, I tried out the individual pavers in different positions/spacing, moving them around until I got a layout that was practical. The offset T route seemed to work best coming through the arch. I continued positioning the slabs right up to the decking, it allows a natural flow straight from the house right up to the back of the garden now.
I've still got to lift the turf and sink them down level this will allow me to run the lawn mower right over the top of them when I mow the lawn. The lawn that had suffered by my previous design attempt has now fully recovered - you'd never know it had been starved of sunlight for a couple of weeks.
All I need do now is work on a vista to the left of the step leading up to the deck. But that is something for another day and another project.