Thursday, 23 October 2014

GBFD October 2014 - Autumn Colour


I don't often find the time to post a Foliage Day post but knowing that I had little on midweek this week, I thought I'd join in.  Of course, I hadn't factored in Hurricane Gonzolo!  Had I done so, I'd have taken a few shots at the weekend but me, I'm never that organised.  Granted the wind has calmed down a fair bit today and we have not experienced it quite so bad as it has been elsewhere in the country.  Standing poised, with the camera in hand, waiting for breaks in the wind - anyone watching must have thought I needed my head looked at.

We can always rely on Leucothoe for a bit of Autumn/Winter colour but temperatures have not quite been cold enough to get them going.  Leucothoe are rather unassuming shrubs the whole summer but come winter, they begin to earn their keep.  The are usually more red/purple by this time of the year but me, I'll take any colour I can get as the garden begins to go to sleep.

Leucothoe walteri Royal Ruby
Heuchera Caramel and Marmalade

Leucothoe axillaris Red Lips
The Witch Hazel, Hamamelis x intermedia Jelena, to be precise was new to the garden last winter.  Sadly, most of the foliage succumb to the winds this last couple of day and now lie in a rather ugly heap at it's feet.

Hamamelis x intermedia Jelena
All is not lost however, do you see what I see?  My garden is definitely at sixes and sevens!  My previous post was about the snowdrops surfacing, the first signs of flowers on the Witch Hazel are just breaking.  That little ribbon is more threadlike at the moment and I almost missed it.


Hamamelis x intermedia Jelena
 
 
 

 
There is a stark difference between the 2 climbing Hydrangea.  The one in the sunnier spot is looking decidedly peely wally, yet the one growing in total shade has only just began changing colour. 
Hydrangea petiolaris

The golden foliage of Jasminum Fiona Sunrise was a gift last year from a friend, she hadn't been aware that it was tender when she purchased it.  It came through the mild winter last year but sadly did not produca a single bloom this year. It found a temporary home in front the teeny tiny Acer palmatum dissectum Garnet, which should by now be a fair bit taller than it actually is.  It's been stood on, damaged by cats and had at one point had all but a single stem left due to my clumsy feet.  5 years on and it's still no more that 10 inches high, which is around half the height at which it was bought!  Still, it has guts and is determined to survive.


Jasminum officinale Fiona Sunris and Acer palmatum dissectum Garnet
Children of the eighties will remember the lyrics of Karma Chameleon by Culture Club - personally I wasn't a fan, way too tomboyish for all that make-up!  The tune and words Red, Gold and Green are now stuck in my head.  Don't you just hate those blasted Earworms!  All together now.......
 
              Karma Karma Karma Karma Karma Chameleon
You come and go
You come and go
Loving would be easy if your colors were like my dream
Red, gold and green
    Red, gold and green
 ♫
 



One the top tier at the very back of the garden - difficult as it was to get a decent shot in such windy conditions, I'm pleased how these shrubs are working together to if you stand just at the right angle that is.  They are still rather small in stature and are currently over shadowed by the perennials growing in front of them.

Cotinus, Physocarpus and Acer

A closer look at the Cotinus foliage shows that it is still looking really quite fresh as we veer nearer to November.  It's well sheltered in this corner.

Cotinus coggygria Golden Spirit
I hope you don't mind me continuing with the Cotinus theme - Dusky Maiden has shone all summer long and yet, this late in the year shows little signs of autumn yet.   Meanwhile, Grace, whom I moved round to the front garden earlier in the year is not happy with the windier position out there. 


Cotinus coggygria Dusky Maiden and Heuchera Marmalade

Cotinus coggygria Grace


The red stemmed Cornus is loosing it's foliage at a vast rate of knots in the winds.  The foliage only began turning a few days ago and to be honest, I expected to awake and find it bare, just like the Rowan this morning.  There are a few left to share their colour.


Cornus alba Sibirica
As I wander about the garden, I realise it's not all about the shrubs.  At ground level, some of the perennials are adding their own touch of Autumn.

A new addition to the garden, the autumnal colouring of Epimedium warleyense Ellen Willmott looks great.  I could not resist the colours - I bought 5 plants, 3 are in the ground in the front garden and I've yet to find a spot for the other 2.
Epimedium warleyense Ellen Willmott
The bold foliage of Darmera peltata is beginning to look rather dramatic.  I first came across this plant a few years ago, in flower, I missed the autumn colour last year when it was still quite small but this year, it's made good growth and you'd need to be looking in the other direction to miss it!

Darmera peltata
The distinct lack of slugs and snails in this very dry year has meant that even then Hostas are getting in on the Autumn Act!
Autumnal Hostas
Finally, the different shapes and colours on the autumn flowering Cyclamen are just as interesting now that the flowers are almost gone. 

Cyclamen hederifolium
If like me, you'd like to celebrate the foliage in your garden this autumn, please pop over to Christina's Blog and share with us what's happening in your part of the world.  Everyone's welcome, the more the merrier!  See you over there! 

42 comments:

  1. Nice fall colour in your garden. I'm a member at Trowels and found your link there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ever so much for visiting, it's nice to see you Linda. I find I don't have so much time to post on Trowels but do pop in now and again.

      Delete
  2. Ciao Angie! L'Hamamelis l'ho sempre desiderato ma purtroppo ho il giardino troppo piccolo!! Dove li tieni tutti quegli arbusti? Sono bellissimi :) Ti faccio sempre i complimenti per tutto :D

    Un saluto :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pontos, io a un certo punto dovrà decidere proprio quello che voglio mantenere. Tutto è ancora piuttosto piccola, ma in un paio di anni mi avrà qualche seria riflessione da fare!

      Delete
  3. THANKS for putting that song in my head... I'm sure it will depart eventually!
    A stunning array of foliage, just loving the Epimedium and will now be seeking that one out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Jessica, I eventually had to switch on the radio just to get rid of it. Isn't the Epimedium lovely. It wasn't the one I went for but Billy (Local nursery owner) convinced me this one was better. I do love going shopping there and feel I am lucky to have such a place right on my doorstep.

      Delete
  4. Hi Angie, I'm so pleased you could join GBFD this month. You have lots of beautiful foliage in your garden; I envy you the Cotinus that don't do well at all for me in my very free draining soil. The leaves don't really change colour they just shrivel and die. You did very well to get such beautifully clear images with the wind blowing, I think the wind has arrived here; as i write it sounds as if the roof will blow off. Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my pleasure to join in Christina. I'm just glad I managed to find time to put together a post.
      I love the Cotinus and sorry to read they don't do well in your garden. I find parts of my garden too wet for them and have lost a couple in the past but hopefully I've got it right now.
      I hope the wind didn't cause too much damage to your beautiful garden.

      Delete
  5. Hi Angie,

    Lovely foliage there. I fear I missed my chance to take photos of my Acer ' garnet' thanks to the winds too... I will have to check when I get the chance - I only noticed it had turned red a couple of days go. After the end of the winds it's certainly dropped in temperature now and I don't think plants will last much longer her (Rudbeckias have already gone and the Dahlias look like they'll follow soon).

    Bring on spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite the wind the Acers seem to be holding onto their folliage, which is odd as they are usually the first to loose them. My Crimson Queen turns over night without warning and I need to keep an eye if I want to catch it at the right time.
      I have been feeling the drop in temps too but we are still experiencing seasonal highs for now!

      Delete
  6. Hi Angie, this foliage post is amazing!!! I can't believe how vibrant, lively and interesting your garden looks just due to the foliage alone. Since I personally love white and silver my favorite leaves are the ones of the cyclamen. Each leave of them seems to be a little miracle to me.
    In my own garden most of the foliage looks rather ratty, since many leaves are fried and a dried up brown from the months of heat that we were having. In my desperation I bought some pumpkins today just to get some autumn color in.
    Warm regards,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christina :) Pumpkins will certainly introduce some autumn colour. I was just discussing with my youngest niece about making lanterns for Trick or Treat on Halloween this afternoon. Traditionally we used large turnips and I was reminiscing about my grandfather and helping him make them. I seem to remember the turnips were much larger then but I guess that was down to me being a small child rather than the turnips getting much smaller.
      Glad you like the Cyclamen, they are fascinating little things aren't they. I really must add some more - perhaps when I'm out and about tomorrow, I might come across some :)

      Delete
  7. Thanks for the earworm! What gorgeous foliage you have. I love your Cotinus, Physocarpus and Acer combination. All your heucheras are lovely. I think I will get more. How exciting having all those buds on your Hamamelis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are more than welcome Chloris - share and share alike I say ;)
      I'm glad to see so many buds on the Hamamelis - I always worry that I'll get no flowers on shrubs when they are in their 2nd year. It happens quite often in my garden.

      Delete
  8. Cheers - I needed another earworm to knock out the one which was already going round my brain. The gardens here are at sixes and sevens too. We have June flowers springing to life again and a friend in the village has apple blossom! Lovely colour you have in your garden. Can't beat a bit of good autumn foliage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have helped get rid of the other one Sarah ;)
      How lovely to have apple blossom at this time of the year, make a bit of a change doesn't it. I am only just beginning to learn the importance of autumn foliage and kind of happy with what I have just now. That's not to say it won't change!

      Delete
  9. What beautiful contrasts. Your Japanese maple is a particularly attractive one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Alain. That particular Japanese Maple is the oldest plant I have. It's over 17 years old now and came with me from my previous garden. To be honest, it's not planted in the right place but I would not chance moving it now.

      Delete
  10. Wow, the Jasminum and Japanese Maple are a zippy combination! I also love the color on your smokebush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the Jasminum and Maple foliage Jason, I like it too. As much as I'd love to see it in future years, I hold out no hope of the Jasminum making it through another winter. We could not be so lucky to have 2 mild ones on the bounce.

      Delete
  11. The pictures of the tree/shrub/plant combinations in full color are stunning. It's a beautiful time in your garden! I wasn't familiar with Leucothoe--the shiny, changing leaves are so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have introduced you to Leucothoe Beth, they really are useful for winter colour. Their flowers in spring time are similar to Pieris flowers.

      Delete
  12. you seem in such a cheerful mood, Angie, and why wouldn't you be with such a stunning garden. I'm thinking of planting Jelena as my third Hamamelis - its autumn colour seem predominantly yellow, is that right? That Acer is beautiful, so is Cotinus Grace. I love the juxtaposition of dark red and yellow, well done. A garden on fire!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am generally in fine fettle Annette, I hope you are too.
      I think you are right re Jelena's autumn colouring. I hadn't given it a thought but now that you mention it, those leaves are not quite so rainbow like as I have seen in other blogs. I love the colour of the flowers, the bronzy shades are so unusual. I first saw this one a blog a couple of years ago and grabbed it with both hands when I came across it at a nursery. It was a reasonable height too when I bought it. Good luck in making the choice of which one to have.

      Delete
  13. The yellow next to black elder is striking we have a similar combination with yellowing asparagus fern in front of the black elder. You brought back memorise of the first time I saw Boy George on TV and rang my sister to ask her - guess what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dark foliage is a great foil for bright colours Sue, I like to have fun with combos in the garden. They don't always work but when they do, it makes the effort worthwhile.
      I doubt you were alone in wondering that Sue ;) I had a friend that was into Boy George in a big way - her mother used to cringe each time she went out the house :)

      Delete
  14. Your foliage combinations are wonderful, Angie! I love the contrast between the yellow Jasminium and the burgundy Acer - it's definitely worth babying both plants along. We don't get much in the way of fall color here - because it just doesn't get cold enough - but even the persimmon trees that usually turn orange aren't showing much color this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kris - I wonder if lack of colour in your persimmon trees is due to the drought you've been experiencing. One thing I've noticed here this year is how quickly the leaves are dropping from the trees. They don't seem to be holding onto them long.

      Delete
  15. Angie, your garden is still colorful like in summer. Love your Acer palmatum, it looks stunning! My red stemmed Cornus 'Elegantissima' lost its leaves and is nice with red branches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cornus are nice when their red stems gleam in winter time aren't they Nadezda, very welcome in winter time.

      Delete
  16. Wow, you have so much colourful foliage in your garden and I really do love the various combinations. I envy your variety of Cotinus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janneke. The Cotinus are fine just now size wise but there will come a time in the future that I will have to keep on top of them by pruning them. That I don't mind as I'm growing them for their foliage rather than the blooms. Glad you like all the combos.

      Delete
  17. I love the Red, Gold and Green - just like the song! The leaves on the epimedium are pretty. Is it an evergreen variety or deciduous?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julieanne. The Epimedium is billed as semi-evergreen, therefore I think it's safe to assume deciduous up here.

      Delete
  18. The wind and the deer have had their way with much of tyne coloring foliage around here, so thanks for sharing yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Rickii - the bad winds of late means there is little foliage left on the shrubs here now!

      Delete
  19. Oh no ... the song has now lodged in my brain ! Some lovely foliage Angie and I especially love Cotinus 'Golden Spirit', not one I am familiar with, and I only have Grace & Purple Emperor. Definitely now on my wish list! We still have quite a lot of things in flower as I am sure you do too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, Golden Spirit is a lovely one. Isn't it amazing how many flowers are still around. It will be interesting to see just what makes it to bloom day!

      Delete
  20. Ugh, the song is on my brain too! I am going to wake up tomorrow with it, I’m sure!
    That said, what a lovely foliage post Angie :-) Oh, I must go out tomorrow and check my snowdrops – I haven’t removed all the pots from the beds yet, but most of them are off, and a new, thick layer of bark mulch everywhere, so the spring bulbs have a little more to get through before being visible than your snowdrops though. But I am sure it won’t be long if the weather continues, 20 degrees for tomorrow and Tuesday, not bad for last week of October! We did notice Gonzalo down here though, boy it was windy! No damage in my garden, just a lot of mess and upturned pots. I loved your cotinius’, especially ‘Grace’ – wish I had room for it, but apparently it grows to 6m! I hope your garden is surviving the recent downpour, you are probably getting more rain than you wish for…..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the song is now gone Helene - I could not believe my ears when I heard Boy George sing it on Strictly on Saturday Night. Spooky moment!
      Cotinus are easily kept to a decent height through pruning Helene, I cant afford them to get quite so tall either. The more you prune the larger the leaves are appartently. I don't particularly like the flowers, therefore am quite happy to sacrifice them to grow these beautiful shrubs.
      We've still been remarkably dry here and we've to get our first frosts tonight.

      Delete
  21. Some fabulous foliage Angie especially the red, green and gold. I think that 'Gonzalo' spoilt the party for many of us. We were just relieved that there was no damage in the garden although I lost a glass pane from the greenhouse at the allotment. My grapes might have got slightly chilly last night.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Angie you have such a wide variety of foliage that is putting on a whole new display now.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.