Saturday, 15 March 2014

Garden Bloggers Bloom Day March 2014

By comparison the garden this year is of to a flying start!  This time last year saw the entire garden stuck in limbo and the only plants that were blooming here last March was Hellebores, Snowdrops and Iris reticulata.    Not forgetting the couple of inches of snow we had just prior to my Bloom Day Post.

Bloom Day March 2013


What a difference a mild winter really makes.  I'm a tad apprehensive about acknowledging Spring's arrival.  I generally don't mark spring until we change the clocks at the end of the month knowing full well things can always take a turn for the worse at the drop of a hat!

Join me for a wee walk around and admire what's flowering today

Those same Iris reticulata flowering right on cue minus the snow!  These were from a packet of multi coloured bulbs bought from a budget store a few years ago.  I've tried comparing other's I've seen for an id but had no luck doing so yet.
Unknown Iris reticulata

A couple of tiny pots with left over viola plugs.  Bought in autumn, the ones in larger pots have thrived and multiplied, they have filled out the little pots just nicely.  A cheap and cheerful way to add some colour.
Violas
 Also growing in a container - Ophiopogon.  Is under planted with Iris reticulata Harmony, which has now gone over.  Making way for Chionodoxa forbesii Pink Giant.  After 3 years in this container, I think it's time they found a permanent home in the ground - time for another experiment!
Ophiopogon and Chionodoxa forbesii Pink Giant

Hellebores continue to nod their heads gracefully when the wind gets up.  Most of my Hellebores are now of a reasonable size - they make quite a statement where ever you are standing in the garden.

This, I think is Helleborus lividus, purchased Spring 2013, I then found out they are possibly not hardy enough to grow here.  I was so confident it wouldn't make it through a normal winter, I tossed the label!
   
The oriental hybrids have been flowering for a few weeks now.




The next group of Hellebores are all new to the garden 2014.

Gearing up with it's first couple of flowers is a new addition to the garden this spring, a momento of my trip to Dunblane - Helleborus x sternii Silver Dollar, don't you just love those serrated leaves? It might be tiny but it won't stay like that forever!

Helleborus x sternii Silver Dollar

I've finally chosen a spot to plant Helleborus x ericsmithii Pirouette.  I bought this charming Hellebore weeks ago - it's found a home in the new woodland bed.  I hope it likes it there!
Helleborus x ericsmithii Pirouette

I commented to Helene over at Graphicality UK only last week that I did not have any white Hellebores in my garden and asked her to put my name on any seedlings she has with white flowers.  I could not believe my luck when I visited a garden centre on my day out last weekend.  I found this beauty marked down by 50%! 
Helleborus White Beauty
A little spring colour under the variegated pagoda dogwood - we've got Corydalis and Crocus.  Dwarf white narcissus and blue muscari will take over in a few weeks.
Corydalis malkensis and Corydalis Solida Beth Evans
The yellow of Narcissus Tete a Tete picked up in the eye of Primula vulgaris Drumcliffe - an Irish bred Primula blooming for St. Patrick's weekend!
Narcissus Tete a Tete
Primula vulgaris Drumcliffe
Just out of shot - Crocus x cultorum Jeanne D'arc, or what's left of them that is!  The cats seem to have taken a dislike to these and keep trampling them to the ground!
Crocus x cultorum Jeanne D'arc

More Tete a Tete in the little spring bed outside the kitchen door - partnered in this bed with a very pretty unnamed Primula and more of the same edging the side path. 
Narcissus Tete a Tete

Primula Don Keefe and Primula Mrs Marjory Banks
Even in the miniature garden things are coming along nicely.  I got the first glimpse of Saxifraga burseriana Gloria full of buds last week, what a difference a few days make.  Joined now by Crocus chrysanthus Blue Pearl and over the next few days Saxifraga x boydilacina Pink Star (top right) will be in full bloom.

 

Last and most certainly not least, Camellia x williamsii Jury's Yellow producing the first flowers of the year.  At least 4 weeks ahead of a normal year.  This plant has been a really battler in my garden.  I suffered greatly when builders spilt cement over it 7 years ago.  I've nurtured it back to health and this year it has produced the most amount of buds it ever has since that event!
 
Camellia x williamsii Jury's Yellow
Camellia x williamsii Jury's Yellow
 
Wishing you all a wonderful Bloom Day - I've grabbed a comfortable chair, cold drink and a bag of Jelly Babies and I'm popping over to May Dream Gardens to see what the rest of you have going on in your gardens.  You are more than welcome to join many garden bloggers who join in on the 15th of every month and share with the world what's blooming in their garden. 

32 comments:

  1. Hi Angie,

    So many wonderful blooms and pretty little flowers! Your Camellia is actually rather lovely - a surprise for me, nothing against you. Just I'm no fan of them, and certainly never a yellow lover but actually the creamy/yellowy centre is very, very nice! Hrm... must stop eyeing new plants.

    I'm pleased to see I'm not the only one with lots of Hellebores! they're invaluable at the moment here, and I can't wait until I'm in a position to be able to cut some of the blooms and bring them indoors :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that you and your Iris reticulata don't have to deal with snow this March!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where to start...where to start?
    Nothing but bloomin' gorgeousness in your garden right now. That camellia is like a scrambled egg...quite delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I planted the same Camellia in my old garden, angie - I'd forgotten it until I saw yours. I wish I had a suitable location to put one in at our current house. I remain envious of all your hellebores, although, at last, one I planted here 3 years ago has bloomed. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely flowers Angie.. your Iris reticulata looks so much happier without the snow.. as do you no doubt :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I planted Blue Pearl crocuses last year but they seem to have disappeared!
    I'm going for the other end of the spectrum and have ordered some very dark purple hellebore plugs

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think your little rock garden is absolutely delightful, Angie! Makes me want to shrink and walk beneath these treasures. So many flowers, adorable...I love the ericsmithii and sternii - great foliage too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All very scrummy ! So much lovely colour because WINTER'S GONE ! Ooops better whisper it just in case ! Love your camellia and your Irises and ... well ... everything really !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your gorgeous miniature garden reminds me that I have a trough that really is in need of a revamp. I love your Ophiopogon and Chionodoxa combo too. Thank goodness the camellia survived, cement is not what they like best..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...it is so good to see spring arriving in your garden. Everything is behind again in the northeast with all the snow and cold we have been having. Even the crocus haven't bloomed yet. I love your Iris reticulata and rock garden!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Angie you have so many lovely blooms and I love your miniature garden, how sweet, it's a nice feeling when a plant that has suffered comes back with tlc, the camellia flowers are beautiful, Frances

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the Primula 'Don Keefe' - never saw an orange one before! Spring is coming in very nicely in your garden!

    ReplyDelete
  13. How wonderful that you don't have any snow this year, your spring bulbs are looking wonderful! I must go and talk to my Camellia Jury's Yellow, not a flower to be seen on mine yet! Your hellebores are beautiful, you have a good selection, I like Pirouette especially and the serrated leaves on Silver Dollar are so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well obviously the Helleborous is doing great there. You might see one like the one no name you have and figure out which it is if you go to the garden centers now while they are in bloom. They are such lovely flowers.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
  15. Loving all your blooms Angie especially the violas I hope to purchase and plant soon. That miniature garden is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lots of beautiful springflowers in your garden and than I see on the last pictures Camellia Yury's Yellow. I have the very same Camellia in my garden and it has just started flowering now. What do you think of this Camellia? I think it is a very nice one, but......the flowers are turning brown so quickly, such a pity.
    Wish you a happy new gardening week!
    Janneke

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think the ericsmithii hybrids are wonderful; masses of flowers that don't droop their heads and good foliage. I don't know Pirouette, it's lovely. I just adore all the lovely primroses that are coming out now; Don Keefe is gorgeous.
    My Jury's Yellow is not out yet, yours seems early for Scotland.
    Isn' t the little Iris reticulata Harmony?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so behind in reading your blog. Darn my busy job!! You have such lovely blooms -- I love that purple primula and yellow narcicuss combination -- what a sight to behold. You have such lovely hellebores, and you are getting them at 50% discount. Don't I envy you people living in the UK and gardening -- it's really the gardening capital of the world. Here they will mark hellebores 50% more instead of giving any discount. Absolutely beautiful flowers all.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a trooper that iris is. I actually think it looks wonderful coming right up out of the snow, but I'm sure the absence of the white background is much pleasanter for you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So many flowers to enjoy in your garden. It's great to see the colors of the flowers return into the garden. And yes what a difference to last year. But I know what weather I prefer to have.
    Enjoy all the beauty in your garden Angie.
    Have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I panicked for a moment, thinking snow had arrived in Edinburgh, just as I left!! What a wealth of beautiful flowers you have at this moment in time. I recognised your Hellebore "Silver Dollar" from your Dunblane blog. It's really lovely - must look out for that one! And isn't your Camellia doing well, despite what it's had to contend with? Its flowers are reminiscent of peony flowers. And it's a beautiful shade!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's certainly so different to last March Angie when we were all still shivering and despairing of spring ever arriving. Seeing your photos has reminded me that I must replace my camelia 'Jury's Yellow' which sadly died - my fault :( 'Silver Dollar' has such striking foliage. I think it's probably more attractive than the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm so pleased we haven't had a long winter/cold spring like last year, although I know it's still March, so I don't want to tempt fate! You have some lovely spring flowers in your garden. I love the Blue Pearl, I think I will be planting that here for next spring!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jealousy! Snowdrops don't come up in my garden. Something ate my Iris reticulata as soon as they were coming up to four inches so no flowers; and the violas . . . something's tattiefied them terribly. I did have a hellebore a few years ago but didn't like it because it grew so low to the ground the flowers were a waste of space. A couple of weeks ago I came across a beautiful hellebore at a garden centre - but it was £17 for the one plant which is beyond my budget so I am helleboreless. Lovely to see how much is flowering in your garden though.

    ReplyDelete
  25. That camelia is a beauty - love the dark glossy leaves too. Loving the leaves of silver dollar too. Spring has certainly sprung in your garden :-)

    I have that same iris reticulata flowering now too - it just listed 'dwarf' on the bulb bag card in a photo I took when planting it up the pot last Oct. Next time I'm out in the shed I'll look to see if I still have the packaging card (I usually keep them a while) but I'm pretty certain Dwarf was all that was mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your miniature garden with the tufa is spectacular. I like your Helleborus x sternii Silver Dollar. It certainly has a very unusual foliage.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Angie, I will take a guess at your irises and guess they are ‘Pixie’, it’s difficult to be sure as cameras and monitors can display colours different. I also have ‘Harmony’, but they are slightly more blue as you probably know since you have them too, but ‘Pixie’ is also a very commonly sold reticulata so perhaps it could be it?

    Your silver dollar hellebore is lovely, I hope it produces lots of seeds ;-) And your new white one looks beautiful, and very similar to the one you saw on my blog. I hope I might be able to get some seedlings from my double white, perhaps some of them can end up in Scotland eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love your hellebores, but your miniature garden is adorable!!! The crocus looks perfect in it. And I love the yellow camellia. I don't think I've ever seen a yellow one before - it's gorgeous! So glad you saved it from its concrete grave.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love this spring posting --- your sweet blooms cheered me, Angie. Your adorable miniature garden reminded me I was planning to make a miniature, fairy garden this year. Something good to think about on this snowy, first day of spring, here. Happy GBBD, Happy Spring! P. x

    ReplyDelete
  30. Angie, I have been kidding myself on about the Spring plants being much earlier and healthier in Cheshire. Truth is, the Winter temperatures have been extraordinary north and south of the border. Love your Spring plants and the Helleborus x sternii Silver Dollar is rather unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I am so behind with blogs this week everyone - I can't thank you all enough for your lovely comments.
    It's the first day of spring today and work continues on my renovations, hence my absence. I want to have something to show for my end of month view post next week. Thanks again xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Ciao Angie! È tutto bellissimo ma sono rimasto colpito da quei vasi che hai fatto! Quello in stile alpino è davvero molto bello!!! Complimenti!

    Una buona settimana!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.