Saturday, 1 March 2014

End of Month View February 2014

My end of month view this February, still as it was last month, is pretty much a work in progress.  Although we were lucky here to have escaped the horrific weather other parts of the UK have experienced, when it has rained it's been pretty heavy.  Weather not conducive to me traipsing my muckle welly boots around the garden. 

End of Jan 2014
It may not look like I've done much but I'm pretty please with what I've achieved so far.  Just for comparison - here's how the area looked at the end of January.  One thing that did surprise me was just how good the soil is up here.  Despite the fact it has been under the cover of the shed for the last 7 year - it was relatively easy to dig, when it wasn't to wet that is!  I'm digging over and adding bags of soil improver as I go along.  It may not be the correct way to do things but it's making it far less a chore to do it in smaller sections like this.


On the tier to the back - Sambucus Black Lace takes centre stage and Cotinus coggygria Golden Spirit will make a lovely contrast in the corner.   Planted as fence cover is Viburnum sargentii Onondaga, Deutzia Strawberry Fields and Hydrangea paniculata Pinky Winky.  When I look back on last month's post - I had hoped to have the border marked out and at the very least, manouvered the stones for the edge into place.  I failed in that respect.  I'm on annual leave next week and should be able to get lots done, weather permitting that is.  The trouble with having such good weather, it leads us into a false sense of security, I keep having to remind myself we are still in Winter and things could take a turn for the worse anytime between now and May.  Please note, I am not starving the birds - the feeders are indoors having their weekly wash.


End of February 2014

As a centre piece (or what ever real gardeners call it) I've gone down the ornamental conifer route, rather than fill it out with herbaceous perennials and such likes.  My plant of choice - Abies koreana Silberlocke.  As described on one website it's "a stunning small evergreen with amazing year-long color; distinctive red cones are eye-catching in spring; needles are held in whorls which displays the prominent silver bands"  This will be taking centre stage in my next End of Month post. 

I've underplanted the Cotinus with Iris reticulata Pauline and the Sambucus with some yellow Crocus - Crocus chrysanthus Romance - pale yellow on the outside and a darker golden colour on the inside.  I've a few dwarf flowering Narcissus else where in the garden that will be moved up here at an appropriate time.  

While my work at the top end of the garden may be slow, I've been extremely busy elsewhere and although not part of my End of Month View for 2014, work on the trellis (aka Project Privacy) that will divide the entire garden is well underway.  Hampered only by the number of trellis etc. I can carry in the car at the one time!  You can see the view through the trellis - there's still lots to do!
  


This may well be only my second End of Month View post, already I am feeling encouraged to stick to my plans.  There really is nothing like knowing that others are looking in to keep you on track.  My promise to break the habit of planting first - think second has not been broken yet! Thus far I've resisted the urge to 'plonk'.  So if you feel you need a prod in the right direction - join in with this meme, kindly hosted by Helen over at The Patient Gardeners Weblog.  It's up to you how you interpret 'End of Month View' - the idea is to cover the same subject matter on the last day of each month - simples!

As usual a great big thanks for reading, your thoughts and comments truly are appreciated.

40 comments:

  1. I do like your trellis, very smart. I am sure all our hard work which isn't obvious now will have an impact in a month or so. Thanks for joining in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen - posting is keeping me disciplined!

      Delete
  2. It looks like you've been busy! It all looks good and I love your choice of plants. I hope the weather holds out for your annual leave. I will keep watching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it does too - I moved the Kilmarnock Willow this morning - the soil is lovely too work with at the moment.

      Delete
  3. I like your end of February better than my end of February. Mine doesn't look much different than January, but then that's really not unusual. We are getting warmer, and the days are getting longer, and there is hope! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it won't be long until your garden is wide awake Beth - isn't it great when we get more light.

      Delete
  4. I can see your garden is moving along and your dwarf iris and crocus are a welcomed sight! Glad you were able to escape some of the bad weather. We have snow on the way again this weekend...no spring yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to read you are expecting more snow Lee - you'll be longing for spring now!

      Delete
  5. Oh boy I love that trellis...wonder where I could squeeze that in our garden!?
    It looks just perfect naked (the trellis that is!!) That's the trouble with admiring other folks gardens trying to fit in all their gorgeousness too. Great EOM review :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like the trellis Jane - I thought long and hard before putting such a large structure in but I'm pleased I did now. I doubt it will stay naked for long ;)

      Delete
  6. You're clearly making progress despite the time-outs for rain. I love the trellis. I too have to fight the urge to "plonk" in plants and I'm taking the same piecemeal approach you are to digging in amendments in my new bed - maybe it's not ideal but it makes the process a lot less daunting and the incremental progress is rewarding. Enjoy your annual leave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I first started putting in the borders I dreaded all the hard work - it didn't take me long to realise it's better doing it as I go. I'm learning to be more disciplined with my planting - good to hear you are too Kris.

      Delete
  7. Your new corner is looking great! And a good choice of plants too. Love your trellis and arbour, it will look really great with some plants growing up it :-) Hope you get nice weather for your annual leave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helene, I hope the weather is nice too. Although this morning there is snow on the Pentland Hills - I hope it is stay to the higher ground.

      Delete
  8. Wow Angie this looking beautiful and when all filled out will be fantastic.

    Like your before and after. Photos.

    I must go have a peek at helebore seedlings for you

    Well done on all your hard work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kath - seedlings will be much appreciated :) I've some pretty blue Crocus Blue Pearl coming up - when I post pics you can let me know if you want some or not.

      Delete
  9. It all looks great, I enjoy the end of month reviews.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joanne - I'm hoping that posting this EOMV will keep me disciplined are encourage me to get the work done.

      Delete
  10. Angie I think you have done quite a lot considering it is winter so not the best of weather and short days and you work, don't be hard on yourself, I now dig and add improvement to soil as I go, when I first started here I read the books and did the whole double dig thing which I found very hard and didn't feel was as good as is said, since I stopped and tried other easier ways I've not noticed any difference, do what works for you,
    your crocus and iris look beautiful, the trellis and arch look nice too, Frances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pleased to read I am not alone Frances. I often read about the effort others go to to prepare beds - I did do it when I first started out planning the garden but soon learned its very hard work! Thanks for the compliments. They are very encouraging.

      Delete
  11. Angie, you are such a careful planner. Your planting plans must be carefully prepared before you ever take a spade to the soil. Myself, sadly more of a "must have this plant, must have this plant, now ... where can I put it" type of person.Like your choices and will be interested to see how the Abies works out. My instinct would have been to jam that space with perennials of many hues, so I am impressed by your restraint !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane - planting plans, what are those? I don't write anything down but try to think long and hard about it. That's only a recent thing though. There are lots needing more space now. I hope the Abies works out - I love it and it's blue cones. My first thoughts was to pack it full with perennials - then I thought about the fact I'm not getting any younger!!

      Delete
  12. It's always good to seeing plans fall into place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To me it looks like you have got a lot done. We gardeners have a tendancy to focus on what we haven't done rather than what we have done, so underestimate quite how much we have achieved. Your garden is coming along nicely. (PS. I accidently commented as WDM Sheffield, another account I run, so have deleted that - apols for any confusion!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know I focus on the negative rather than the positives - I really need to change this habit. thanks for the compliments :)

      Delete
  14. Nice trellis and as far as I can see you did already a tremendous lot of work. I am not so for conifers, but I like the Abies koreana, I have one myself too. I am looking forward when all is planted and see the summer pictures, I am sure it will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not one for conifers wither Janneke but the Korean fir is a beauty. I know it will eventually be way too big but hopefully I wont be there to see it ;)

      Delete
  15. Few things are sweeter than bright yellow crocus in early spring. Just curious, but what is annual leave? Is it just another phrase for vacation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love yellow Crocus Jason - all the previous ones I planted turned purple?? Odd and have no explaination for it! Hopefully these will last as they are miles away from the others.
      Yes, annual leave is the same as vacation. Although I'm not going away, it will just be nice not to go to work!

      Delete
  16. Hi Angie,

    Looking good - your trellis and arch is very nice. I had visions of similar here but never got round to it.

    Have you decided what you want to grow up the trellis yet?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have to work between the raindrops here too, for most of the fall and winter, as well as spring, so it's been slow going. Like you, I hope having to post on my progress every month will encourage me not to procrastinate and actually get something done. I like your choice of Abies koerana Silberlocke. I recently planted one of those as well.

    ReplyDelete
  18. You've been such a hard working girl! I look forward to seeing the Cotinus and Sambucus together. The golden yellow crocus is very pretty - I've lots of different crocuses and can't get enough of them. As for being in winter still - in our part we distinguish between the different phases of the seasons and we're now well into early spring. So let's be happy and enjoy our gardens :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm pleased that you've achieved so much in the garden already - it's not been an easy start to the year with it being so wet. I'm certainly behind with my plans. Hope you get some good weather for your leave - a few warm, dry days will be so welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love that trellis. I am guessing you are going that with some flowering plants eventually. Oh! that will be gorgeous. I can't wait to see your garden when it's all flowering.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I think you did the smart thing, choosing an area you are actively working on for the end-of-month view. I can really see progress. I'm skipping this month because the area I chose looks no different than it did the month before. Oh well, maybe every-other-end-of-month view will be more appropriate.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Angie, your garden is coming on a treat and I do like the trellis. We have a hedge in the back garden, so wide and taking up too much room in a small garden, I am definitely going to consider trellis. Abies Koreana, one of my favourite conifers, I am going to make a check on my post, perhaps my one is not silberlocke as I mentioned as it has blue cones.

    ReplyDelete
  23. The trellis looks great, you can't beat a bit of strong infrastructure to make a garden interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love how this is coming along and I too really like the look of the trellis. This year I am taking it slow and not plonking things down.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Angie what kind of rocks are in your miniture garden?

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.