Sunday, 17 November 2013

Foliage Follow Up November 2013

It's at this time of the year Evergreens really start earning their keep in the garden.  I've no doubt that in the winter months these will feature heavily in posts.  Meanwhile, if we draw our eyes downwards - there's still lots too see.

Let's take a look at some of the evergreen ferns that are growing around the garden.

This polypody grows comfortable beneath the Magnolia in the grotto garden.  It's proper names is a bit of a mouthful however! 

Polypodium mantoniae Bifedograndiceps

Beneath a variegated Pieris lies a fern with no name - it was a tiny little plant I bought at a local supermarket.  It gets no light whatsoever under there.

Unidentified fern

Of all the Aspleniums (Hart's tongue or Spleenwort) I grow - this one is my favourite.  I love the crinkled leaves - it will be surrounded by snowdrops in springtime. 

Asplenium scolopedrium Muricatum
I don't grow many grasses - it's not because I don't like them, the reason is that I'm never happy with where I choose to plant them and sooner rather than later out they come!  This grass I do like.  I have no idea what it is - I was given a tiny little clump a few years ago and the fact that it survived the flooding prompted me to keep it.  I love it's growing habit - it does however have a habit of moulting, I find it's strands everywhere.

Unknown grass and red stemmed Cornus
The bargain of 2012.  I picked up this Carex Evergold last winter for the bargain basement cost of 50 pence! 

Carex oshimensis Evergold and Heuchera Obsidian
The next two are new additions to the garden this year - both I've tried before but failed.  I planted them too late in the year last time and they didn't cope with the cold.  Not one to give up easily, I'm giving them another chance.

Carex comans Bronze
Carex comans Bronze has a hardiness rating split between H3 and H4 - winter wet shouldn't be an issue in the very gritty front garden, we shall see how it copes with the cold.

Catching the dappled sunlight through coming through the fence Hakonechloa marcra is quite eyecatching!

Hakeonechloa macra
Moving swiftly along from grasses - this Phormium is only frost hardy.  It needs winter protection here in Scotland.  Due to the late start of summer it hasn't done so well this year.
Phormium Evening Glow


Most of the Heuchera are looking a bit tired, especially following last weekend's frost.  One or two are still quite presentable!
Heuchera Beauty Colour
  
Heuchera Crimson Curls
 
Heuchera Black Beauty

Heuchera Binoche

Tiarella Spring Symphony



This post is linked to Pam @ Digging.  If you are looking for a foliage fix - then pop over, all welcome!  Pam kindly hosts the Foliage Follow Up meme every month.

....and finally

The old making way for the new!
 

37 comments:

  1. Love your last pic!
    Like half the world I think I've had my dalliance with heucheras. I really love them, but they only ever last one season for me. Perhaps they don't like the winter wet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the winter wet can be an issue for them. They are also prone to heaving and of course if the vine weevil larvae get tucked in! The trouble with Heuchera is that they either look good or look awful. There is not in between with them! I have a real love/hate relationship with them.

      Delete
  2. I'm a huge Carex fan, esp. the Evergold, which has such a fine texture and that shining-light color. You have lots of great foliage picks this month. Thanks for joining in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for hosting - yes that Carex really does look great with the sun shining on it.

      Delete
  3. We started off with one heuchera but I have kept splitting it and now we have loads and loads of them,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As we all do Sue :) I also can resist buying them!

      Delete
  4. Lovely photos. I'd love to have some Ferns that were hardy for me here, but the ones I have are not. As time has gone by I find I am more into foliage plants and use my flowering shrubs mostly for the flowers.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cher, such a shame you can't find ferns that are hardy enough for your area. They make a lovely addition to a shady area. I'm often attracted to plants by their foliage so know where you are coming from.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Kath. That grass above that I have no id for is the one you sent me a few years back.

      Delete
  6. I particularly like that tongue-twister fern, but this whole post drips with beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a lovely wee fern Ricki - it's taken a while to settle in my garden but it's getting there now! Thanks for the lovely comments.

      Delete
  7. I love all of the Heucheras - I'm only minimally successful with them here. Can you tell me how you "groom" your Carex 'Evergold'? Mine has a good bit of dead leaves. I've tried finger-combing it but that doesn't seem to get the dead stuff out and I've hesitated to cut it back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing the heat will affect the Heuchera Kris, am I right? I've never groomed this Carex but when I bought it last year it had been chopped back and I was sceptical it would ever look this good. I find the finger combing doesn't work for me either. Another one I grow gets a chop but does take a long time too look good again. It may recover quicker in your conditions though.

      Delete
  8. Ah, yes ... the new growth of the Hellebores! Mine have starts of buds, too, but now they must survive the long, cold winter for four months. Such amazing plants! I always worry that they will make it, but they always pull through and they're such incredibly beautiful blooms. Your Heucheras are wonderful, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel exactly the same about some plants Beth. I'm getting better at it as the years move one though. I think any plants that flower in winter are special and well worth the worry ;)

      Delete
  9. I really like heucheras and ferns, and grasses! Oh, and hellebores and acers... I really like the way the light shines through the vari-coloured strands of Carex comans 'Bronze', so I hope it thrives for you. That's a lovely phormium too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it does well there too Janet. Acers are my favourite - I wouldn't have a garden without one!

      Delete
  10. That Phormium is really striking! You also have a nice collection of ferns. I planted some Hakeonechloa this fall and they were immediately eaten by rabbits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a shame Jason - the first lot I tried died! Will you try again?

      Delete
  11. Really love the autumn colour of the maple on the ground
    Is the label on black beauty right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Roger - The label on Black Beauty, I'm presuming was correct at time of purchase. It was very dark in colour but failed to thrive where I planted it. I think given more sun it will darken up. Might you think it's another?

      Delete
  12. Angie you have some nice ferns, grasses and foliage, a variety of texture and colour, love the last photo, Frances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love ferns Frances - the more the merrier ;)

      Delete
  13. Grasses are great plants this time of year. You have quite good interest in the garden still. My beds are looking quite untidy with leaves and plants dying back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mines are too Kelli - hence the close ups! It's got much worse over the last couple of days. Still I keep telling myself it won't be long until spring :)

      Delete
  14. We like the same plants. Heucheras and Ferns are among my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's difficult not too like them Bridget - very useful in the garden!

      Delete
  15. I don't think you'll have problems with the carex now that you've planted it earlier in the season. Mine grows and seeds like a weed up here in Perthshire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie - it seems happy. There is another tucked away in a corner, though why I planted it there beats me! Will find it a new home in springtime.

      Delete
  16. I love all your heucheras, a bit tired or not! I have decided to get some next spring, I have found a website where they must have hundreds – I could easily spend way too much money a place like that…and your Phormium is just gorgeous – it doesn’t really look like the phormiums I am used to seeing, yours have smaller leaves and many more of them, beautiful – it’s on my wish list now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will probably like your shadier garden Helene - just remember that the purple ones prefer some sun or else they turn a bit green. I'm going to send you a message on plant swap - I'll happily send you down a couple to give them a go.

      Delete
  17. What a wonderful variety of foliage you have! You must have a very interesting garden all winter with such a choice of grasses, heucheras and ferns. Have a good weekend, hope the weather is kind to you and your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is still lots too look at in winter time although some things are still quite small and I don't get the benefit yet. I hope you've had a good weekend. It's very fresh here!

      Delete
  18. Hi Angie, I truly enjoyed looking at the different foliage in your garden! From my trips to England I know that the British gardeners are great in growing the most beautiful heucheras. I love, love, love the very dark varieties that you have in your garden. In my own garden in Southern California I just have thrown out my chartreuse heucheras 'Key lim Pie', since they weren't doing that well anymore, but your post makes me think that I should replace them and maybe also get some of the dark varieties. Wishing you a lovely autumn!
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  19. Angie such lovely foliage...I really loved the ferns and grasses....so lush looking.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Still lots going on in your garden and heucheras I've not got! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.