Monday, 15 July 2013

July Bloom Day

What a summer we are having!  The best one I can remember for an awful long time.  Being a sun worshipper - I am totally in my element.  Lazing around doing pretty much zilch whenever I can!!
The schools here in Scotland are now on summer vacation.  Niece and Nephew sitting is now underway.  As activities are usually weather dependent, this week we have been paddling down in the river and around local ponds feeding the ducks, in fact anything that involves water has been their favourite things to do this last fortnight.  The local children seem to have formed a sort of rota system amongst themselves - a different garden everyday.  Parents, grandparents and others like myself all taking turns at supplying a means to keep them cool and entertained.  Pools, hoses, waterguns and water balloons being the most popular. 

It's not only been the children that have been in much need of water - the plants in the garden are feeling the strain.  In a normal year, growing conditions in my garden would be best described as moist and well drained with odd patch of not so well drained, therefore the plants I grow could hardly be described as 'Drought Tolerant' - this is however the situation my garden is in right now and I just have to keep on top of watering, like it or not! 

Having said all that - there is plenty going on, please join me and other gardeners around the world on this Garden Bloggers Bloom Day.  Garden Bloggers Bloom Day is a meme kindly hosted by Carol over at May Dream Gardens on the 15th of every month.

The Roses are now well on their way.  The Wedgewood Rose climbs it's way over my seated arch, Rosa Warm Welcome grows against the shed and Rambling Felicite Perpetue grows on wires against the back fence.


Shrubs in flower right now include

x Halimiocistus sahucii
 

Deutzia x hybrida Strawberry Fields

Philadelphus Belle Etoile

There are cool blues

Erigeron, Scabious, Clematis, Lupin, Campanula, Phlox, Aconitum, Salvia and Delphiniums
in all shades of blue
Plenty of pretty pinks

Dianthus, Sidalcea, Trifolium, Sanguisorba, Astrantia, Geranium, Phlox, Dicentra, Primula, Lilies, Cirsuim and Geranium

Crisp whites and yellows

Primula, Dutch Iris, Peony, Leucanthemum, Centaurea, Dicentra, Heucherella, Trifollium, Aconitum, Primula and Astilbe

 

Heucheras have started flowering too - the best of the bunch are not looking to bad in the heat. 

Heuchera Jade Gloss, Plum Pudding and Black Beauty
Heucherella Alabama Sunrise, Heucher Crimson Curls and Binoche 

The Primula making it's blog debut this month is Primula florindae (Red Form).  It's common name is Giant Tibetan Cowslip.  It requires a moist (or bog garden) sunny spot.   Growing most Primula requires that the soil is kept reasonably moist.  They soon show signs of wilting if they are left to dry out.  This plant not only looks great it has the addition of a cinnamon scent!  It smells delicious!!

Primula florindae
Giant Tibetan Cowslip
     
Finally.....

Do you ever take a stroll around the garden and get the 'I'm very pleased with how that's turned out' feeling?  I have to admit that I don't get that very often and if I do it's been more accidental planting rather than a meticulously planned combination. 

Let me share with you all one of those moments.  Accidental it may be but I do like it!  The Euphorbia was destined for the compost bin a few weeks ago and the Alstromeria and Scabious are only there because they almost drowned in flooding last year and I had nowhere else to put them! 



I would like to thank you all for joining me this month and hope you are all having a wonderful summer.

The last picture I would like to share with you all is not one of blooms in my garden but a snap shot of our evening stroll around Blackford Pond here in Edinburgh. 

Swan, Cygnets, Ducks and Gulls
Blackford Pond, Edinburgh. July 2013

47 comments:

  1. Wow, your garden is sure full of pretty flowers! Loved the Giant Tibetan Cowslip, I have put it on my wish list, I am sure I can find a suitable space for it if it isn’t too fuzzy about sun level. Isn’t it great we finally got a good, proper summer?? And it is set to last for another few more weeks! I have tried to think back and I believe last time we had such a long spell of summer weather was in 2005. About time then :-) I am also doing a lot of watering, I am on a water meter so I will probably get a huge bill, but on the other hand I am not using my heating as I did last summer so saving some there. Enjoy the weather, long may it last, have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Helene - thank you very much. It great to have a wonderful summer and long may it last! I hope you are having a good weekend.

      Delete
  2. The soft blue and yellows of your last gardening picture are a real good combination, love it too. But your colour collages of your flowers and the Heucheras are also gorgeous. Enjoy your beautiful summer, we do too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janneke - I find the collages a useful way to show as many blooms - less pictures that to clog up the blog and bore readers too much! You have a good one too!

      Delete
  3. Great images as usual, Angie! It's very hot and dry here too, so I hope we'll get some rain soon as plants are not all established yet. Still I adore a good summer and enjoy the sun after all the rain earlier in the year. Have a nice week in your beautiful garden :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all enjoy a good summer - we don't get one too often!

      Delete
  4. Lovely blooms abound there. Makes for some great collages. The Rose on the arch is especially lovely.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cher - I'm hoping in years to come the Rose will look even better!

      Delete
  5. The garden is lovely this time of year isn't it. I live on the south east coast and it has been very hot here last week and weekend and hasn't rained for several weeks. I grow a lot of things in pots so I know how much water to give everything. Your blue Scabious is lovely, I have tried to grow it but the slugs get it every time. I now grow annual blue Cornflower in pots instead. Your garden must give you so much pleasure, it is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A shame the slugs get to your Scabious - there are too many other goodies in my garden for them to enjoy. Blue conflowers in pots will look spectacular. Another plant that ordinarily wouldn't cope well in my garden!

      Delete
  6. Just love your colour collages. They are a brilliant way of displaying the blooms. I loved your garden tour-everything is looking just perfect. The plants are enjoying the summer as much as we are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed! Yes, for once the plants are seeing an ideal summer.

      Delete
  7. That's a great way to show a lot of photos, and grouping them by color is a nice artistic choice. I especially enjoyed the shot of your garden, and I think you are being entirely too modest to call it an accident. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not modest Ricki - just truthfull. Thank you for enjoying and thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Gorgeous flowers! I love the picture of the bumblebees on the delphinium. As to the kids, have you got an old fashioned water sprinkler? Running through those was always popular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jason, I do have an old fashioned sprinkler - It's favourite for all the kids and me on occasion :)

      Delete
  9. You've got quite a bit of action in the garden and the pond. Hope the good weather sticks with you for awhile. Too rainy here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the rain doesn't hang around for too long Marian - we need some here now!

      Delete
  10. You have such a lot of beautiful flowers, your garden must be looking wonderful at the moment. We too are on a water meter, so only recent planting and pots are getting watered, everything else has to take its chance. Love your red florindae, I have Coppertones, which again has a delicious perfume!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankfully Pauline no water meter here! Coppertones is a cracker too - one on my wish list when I can source it.

      Delete
  11. I absolutely adore that Giant Tibetan Cowslip - what a beauty! Isn't it great that we are finally having a proper summer? It's brilliant that the Scottish schools have broken up it time for the children to enjoy it. I love your "happy happening" border. Enjoy the sun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Traditionally the Holidays in Scotland are earlier than the rest of the UK - I think something to do with lighter nights. It's soooooo good to have a proper summer, it's been perfect this year.

      Delete
  12. Angie your garden looks beautiful, I love all your blue flowers especially, and the white and yellow blooms, and the roses, and your 'I'm very pleased with how that's turned out' it has turned out beautifully, Frances

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frances, thank you. I'm growing rather fond of yellow and white flowers. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that it's so sunny and they stand out more.

      Delete
  13. Angie! I love how you grouped your photos this month, and that Wedgewood Rose is to die for. Hope you're staying cool - our temps are getting out of control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sarah - temperatures here in Scotland are incredible this year! The Wedgewood Rose is rather special, I think!

      Delete
  14. Your garden is looking lovely, with so much colour. I love your cool blues and the roses are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, blues were always first choice when choosing plants - I'm expanding now, thankfully!!

      Delete
  15. The color of Wedgewood rose is so delicate and lovely. It is gorgeous. I can imagine sitting there underneath it. And your primula is adorable!!! It must be enchanting with that cinnamon scent. And I do love your accidental combinations. The foliage and the colors - it all looks nice. Accidents like that are so thrilling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holley, the scent from the roses is lovely when relaxing on the seat! I'm glad when accidents like that happen!

      Delete
  16. Oh, yes. July is a good month for you, isn't it? My favorites in this post are the Deutzias and the Primulas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. July sure is a good month - it's not always we can say that here. The Deutzia is a beauty. Believe it or not it was wrongly labelled and I bought it as an Enkianthus when it was dormant. I'm glad I didn't return it!

      Delete
  17. Hi Angie,

    Sorry I thought I commented earlier, obviously not.

    Lovely bloom day, plenty of colours to look at! :)
    Primula Florindae sure is gorgeous! I seem to be getting into primulas recently.... All the more to add...

    These hot days have been killer. I like sun and getting outside, but this is pushing my limits now... Really wish it was 21-25 and then I'd be happy. Mind, this weekend is due to cool off a little before they rise again next week so at least there's some respite and I might finally be able to get the plants I bought a few weeks ago in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz - I do love Primulas too and am adding some all the time. For the first time I can remember I am taking to the shade, the family can't believe it! It's been cooler this weekend and I took the opportunity to plant a couple of new plants that had been waiting patiently!

      Delete
  18. Hi Angie, the plants in your garden are looking gorgeous and I am not surprised that you are pleased with the border shown in your second last picture. Weather here has also been the best we have had in years and its making our decision on whether or not we should move to Cheshire where our eldest daughter and grandchildren live more difficult. I love that Primula florindae.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Angie, Thanks for naming Hosta No. 7 Big Daddy, Feel convinced thats what it is. (linked to your blog)

      Delete
  19. I agree your plants are stunning..so much blooming and so much color...I can relate to walking around and looking for combinations I like and I agree mine are usually accidental

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna - I rather like how some combinations are finally coming together but you are right, the best ones are accidental!

      Delete
  20. You have lots of lovely plants in the garden, everything looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keli, yes this summer seems to making fantastic gardens everywhere!

      Delete
  21. Love those cool blue and lovely yellow blooms! And those pastel pink roses climbing up the black arch... omgosh what a lovely sight to behold. Have a beautiful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stephanie - those yellow blooms are really growing on me this season. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that it's been so sunny and they really stand out.

      Delete
  22. A wonderful garden, full of treasures! I am impressed with Primula floridae, so beautiful.
    Enjoy your hot summer days.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great pictures of your impressive range of plants. I was interested to see the x Halimiocistus with you, does it come through the winter OK?

    ReplyDelete
  24. The last garden photo is lovely and thank you for reminding me of the name of a plant growing on my plot that I have been racking my brain to remember Halimiocistus!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just had a stroll round my own garden and I thought of your comment about how nice it is strolling .In my own case after some very welcome rain. Liked your Deutzia 'Strawberry Fields', you must be a little behind us up further north, mine is over and I gave it a heavy prune taking out old flowering branches yesterday

    ReplyDelete
  26. Where art thou? It's almost getting to a month with your update :-). I am so glad to read that Scottish children still behave like children and play around in nature, unlike here where they are all glued to TV, mobile phones, computer screens!!

    By Jove, don't you have all the colors in your garden!! What dazzling flowers and colors!!!!!......

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.