Friday, 15 March 2013

Garden Blogger's Bloom Day

What a week it's been!  A real mixed bag in terms of weather - you name it we've had it!  I really am stretching the truth there - we haven't seen a typhoon, tornado nor a tropical cyclone.  We have had sun, rain, frost, wind, snow and hail.   It's set a few things back and others it just hasn't hindered!

The other week Helene over at Graphicality UK asked us when we considered spring was upon us - whether your answer was 1st of March, 20th of March or 31st of March (Clocks go forward) either way - one thing for sure winter wasn't far away this week.  I think many of us here in the UK had a short sharp shock!  I feel kind of pleased with myself that I didn't take the plunge and prune the couple of the shrubs that need doing at this time of year - even the Hydrangeas still have remnants of last years flowers, I've normally succumb to temptation by now!  Yes, yes - I know I live in Scotland and frosts here should/can be expected right up until May - I've learned that lesson this year!  Who did that blog/meme? - I'd like to link but I can't for the love of me remember who.  Was it you? Or do you remember who it was?

My post for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day is certainly not as bountiful as I might have hoped but those are the gardening breaks, aren't they?  After all, what doesn't flower this week, might just surprise us next.  Being a gardener requires so many virtues - do they sell those in the supermarkets?  If so, can I collect bonus points!!  I wonder, will they be limited to 3 per person or if I'm really lucky BOGOF!

Lets take a wee look


Helleborus x ericsmithii - Winter Moonbeam.  This plant made it's premier last GBBD - only had one flower back then.  Having been under 4 inches of snow 2 days before this picture it really has picked itself up, unlike a few of the orientals.

Another Hellebore - Helleborus orientalis - White Spotted Hillier Hybrid.  Looking rather lonely on Monday just as the snow started - then followed by some hail.


Just look at how it is today - spot the difference?  Mum came home with a few more clumps of Snowdrops from the lady who is having landscape work done to her garden I think they look quite good beside the Hellebore.  Free plants, you just can't beat it!  Can you spot Primula Don Keefe tantalising me with a little bit of colour?  Narcissus Jetfire, bullet like buds, are just showing too!

  
Another Red Oriental Hybrid Hellebore - a nice dark colour on the flower of this one - this one has come through last year's flooding but sadly the Ceanothus that was providing it with shade from the sun sadly did not!  Nearly forgot it's white neighbour - that was stood on and completely flattened as I tried to get the Ceanothus out the ground - don't you just hate it when your clumsy feet get in the way - I may just rename this corner of the garden Calamity Corner!



These Iris reticulata have been flowering for so long - they really do deserve another slot this month!  Under the snow on Tuesday but they are still flowering today - I forgot to take a picture earlier.


A bit of a worm's eye view here - you don't realise how old you are getting until you have to get right down to the ground to get a decent picture then there's the bother of getting back up again - especially when this bed is surrounded with gravel!  A few choice words as the stones cut into my knees.


Corydalis malkensis - only 4 inches high.  Did not suffer any set back from the snow either, it bounced right back!  These are gorgeous little woodlanders with lovely ferny foliage.  It provides a wee glimmer of hope that spring is on it's way here in Scotland - a while before many of the spring bulbs are even considering revealing themselves to the world!

Further along the bed a wee bit Corydalis solida Beth Evans - doing a similar job and like anything else growing here in Scotland needs to be sturdy enough to cope with anything the weather throws at it.
Before

During

After
Many of the blogs I visit have been busily posting pictures of their mature clumps of Crocus - I've been having to make do with admiring these from a far!  Yes, if that's you - I have been drooling - no excuses!
I could just not help myself.

Earlier this week, hope was on the horizon - miniscule tips of yellows and purples were beginning to appear. Before long they were under a layer of the white stuff!

Crocus crysanthus
The buttery yellow tones of this Crocus will soon enough open to reveal it's golden inners - today it is just teasing me!

I've a few purple Crocus dotted around the garden - they were odds in a group of yellow Crocus I planted a couple of years back - carefully removed and planted, they can naturalise til their hearts are content.  Plenty of foliage but lacking in blooms much to my disappointment.  I'm confident that disappointment will be short lived and I will have a tiny little clump of 4 or 5 flowers soon enough.


As usual - it's a delight to see you all and if it takes your fancy pop right over and join in with gardeners from around the globe share who post on the 15th of each month for Garden Bloggers Bloom Day.  This meme is kindly hosted by Carol and believe me - there is a garden for everyone!  Whether you are looking for inspiration or just a wee nosy - it's the place to be!

For more information on some of the plants I've featured today, please click the links or visit my 'What's Growing' page - it is a work in progress and hopefully I'm providing a useful reference guide to all the plants growing in my garden.  I'd be interest in some feedback - if you don't mind.  Cheers!

38 comments:

  1. You have such pretties coming up in this cold nasty weather. Sure makes you realize Spring is upon us.
    Cher Sunray Gardens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cher, spring - isn't it a marvelous feeling when it's within touching distance!

      Delete
  2. It's fun and refreshing to see blooms in snow as we are expecting highs of 30C by the end of the weekend. I never tire of seeing happy hellebores since they would be most unhappy here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats hot Shirley! I'm pleased you enjoy seeing my hellebores I've a few plants I covet from afar too!

      Delete
  3. Hi Angie, thanks for mentioning my blog! The blog with the lessons learned is Beth’s blog Plant Postings, you can find the meme here: http://plantpostings.blogspot.co.uk/p/lessons-learned.html

    Your Helleborus x ericsmithii is lovely, I have just added it to my very long plant wish-list, it would look great together with my hybridus. Also liked the Corydalis, haven’t seen them before.
    Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Helene - thanks for the link.
      H x ericsmithii is a cracker worthy of a place on any wish list!
      Corydalis are wee beauties worthy of a place in any garden!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for visiting me today. I like your snowdrops with the hellebore. I've never tried transplanting bulbs in bloom - maybe I'll give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping over for a visit here too :)
      I've never tried transplanting in bloom either but as these were destined for the great big compost bin in the sky, worth a chance!

      Delete
  5. Your flowers look lovely. Who would say they got pounded by hail?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. KL, yes they took a bit of a pounding!! Fully recovered now though.

      Delete
  6. Your hellebores are gorgeous! Happy GBBD to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you gravy lessons, same to you!

      Delete
  7. Hi Angie, thanks for visiting my site, i replied to your comments. Blogging lets me know many spring flowers, of which I've only seen snowdrops and crocus. You've introduced to me again some more. I also love the variegated leaves near that crocus on the 2nd to the last photo, beautiful. By the way, i guess the link for lessons learned with the season is by Donna in "mygardens eye view".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kalantikan - I've been back and answered your comment. I must try find some pictures and do a blog - I took plenty of pictures of the ongoing saga!

      Delete
  8. I like those two varieties of Corydalis. I grow Corydalis lutea, which is not such an early bloomer but is pretty much destructible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jason, Corydalis lutea can get a bit out of control here, I've Corydalis elata and Pere David which will flower later.

      Delete
  9. I love Corydalis solida 'Beth Evans'! My flowers have been enduring snow this week as well. In the US, our clocks turned forward the 10th, which certainly helps it seem more like spring. But our weather is still so cold! We are not quite there yet.

    Thanks for sharing your flowers!
    ~Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie - Beth is a little beauty isn't she. We are not quite there either!

      Delete
  10. An awesome variety of plants and color. Spring is still on vacation here in the Midwest of the United States, but the birds have started to return at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping it doesn't take too long for your spring to return Nicolas - the birds returning are a good sign!

      Delete
  11. Ciao Angie, thank you for visiting my blog. It was minus 3degrees C last night ... I do so like your 'time until Spring' clock, hard to imagine it is officially so close. I also think that I need to put my Hellebores somewhere higher up so I can see them properly like yours. Happy Bloom Day. Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne - mines are not high up - I just have to get myself right down to the ground to get a decent shot!
      I've seen them growing in containers - that may give a better vantage point to see them!

      Delete
  12. I just bought a Winter's Moonbeam and am so glad I did as yours is gorgeous. You are way ahead of us with C. solida here just showing a few feathery leaf tops. I am very jealous of your clump of Iris reticulata---difficult to grow in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't be disappointed with that Hellebore Carolyn. A few pictures I saw didn't do it justice and I thought I might have regretted it as it wasn't cheap!
      The Corydalis began growth really early yet took an age to flower.

      Delete
  13. I was surprised to see the 2 beautiful Corydalises in flower. And another "want to have": the Hellebore Winter's Moonbeam. Today the first day after a week without snow and frost, just rain. We make progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janneke - I was surprise when they pushed through the surface a while ago. This is the usual time of flowering here.
      Glad you've lost the snow. With the rain comes a raise in temperatures so yes, progress!

      Delete
  14. Angie I am smitten with your hellebores, corydalis and your iris. I know what you mean by a worm's eye view as I have to get down on the wet ground in spring to get good pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna - it's just not good getting way down there sometimes!
      Glad you liked my plants.

      Delete
  15. I am infatuated with hellebores this year. Yours are just gorgeous! And your hellebore and the irises blooming in the snow are so pretty! I rarely see snow, so to see snow and blooms together to me is magical. I think it's been a long winter most places this year. Hopefully spring will finally show up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holley - not a bad infatuation to have! I'm glad you enjoyed seeing the blooms in the snow - I can see why you think this is magical. Yes, a long winter!

      Delete
  16. Hello; I've just come across the photographs of your beautiful flowers. How lovely to see some of them blooming against the snow. I've a few crocuses in flower, but not as many as I planted, and they haven't had much chance to open up to sun this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy - thank you for visiting - I hope the remainder of your Crocus appear - I'm sure once the sun in constant you will see some action!!

      Delete
  17. I'm loving those Corydalis flowers. I've just got the China blue one and all it has at the moment is lovely ferny foliage. I need to seek out some other colours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rosie - the blues are stunning. I have/had C. elata - which sadly hasn't appeared this year and recently bought Pere David as a replacement for it.
      The little ones are worthwhile trying to find - they really do add something a bit different to normal spring flowering bulbs.

      Delete
  18. Angie, I feel your pain about frosts into May. Here in Spokane we experience those darn late frosts as well. Sweet blooms you have, even in the snow. How fun to read about a Scottish garden - my ancestors came from Scotland and I'm hoping to visit someday. Preferably in summer, when the frosts finally finish :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. VW - those late frost are a real pain - I've given up on Wisteria completely after too many failed attempts!!
    Scotland is a beautiful country, you would not be disappointed if/when you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Angie, I am very impressed with your what's growing page and as for the white Corydalis, it is now on my wishlist. I see what you mean in regards to the Iris reticulata looking so good in your garden. Not everyone can achieve this and if this is not their first season then you certainly have the knack with them..

    ReplyDelete
  21. Alistair, thanks for the feedback re my what's growing page. C. malkensis is a lovely wee thing and has taken everything this weather has thrown at it. In fact just today I noticed it was producing more flowers!
    The Iris, many of them are now into their 3rd year but I suffered a bit of loss from flooding and there are a few just popping up from the once flooded soil. I'm hoping I can lift those and save them once they put on a bit of growth. The purple ones in the snow are in their first year - so we shall see how they fair next year!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.