Friday, 23 November 2012

Woodpecker sighting

The first ever sighting of a GREAT SPOTTED WOODPECKER took place well over a year ago.  Sadly, this special moment was not captured on camera.
Imagine my delight as I peered out the window this afternoon and saw this beautiful bird feeding away at one of the feeders.
Although not the greatest of pictures - I have managed to capture him this time......

Great Spotted Woodpecker (dendrocopos major)


I'm calling him a he because as he flew away - I was able to see a red colouring on his head.  Only male or juvenille woodpeckers have a red patch of feather on their head.

few days ago I gave mention to Blacky the Blackbird and the fact that he had returned.  The Blackbird seems to have been a very elusive visitor to the garden this last few months.  Yesterday afternoon, as Blacky stood proudly on a neighbour's shed - another blackbird hopped around the borders in search of food.  It was difficult to tell whether it was a a female or a juvenille as both are very similar in colouring.  So the question is - was he watching his prospective mate or keeping an eye on one of his brood?

Blackbird (turdus merula)

Disguised in amoungst the SPARROWS was a young rather tubby ROBIN hopping it's way around the base of the bird feeder.  Yet to have matured enough to show off it's red breast, it was a bit harder to spot in a sea of brown feathers.

There has been a couple of fleeting visits from a female bullfinch this week - she didn't stay long though. Being rather secretive birds - it's not often I see them around the garden picking for food amongst the other birds.

I must say that I am rather pleased that my new bird feeder - which allows me to put out a bigger variety of goodies for the birds - is enticing in these 'strangers'.

Apologies again for the quality of the pictures - the best I could do being indoors as I did not want to take a risk in chasing them away before I was able to record.

  

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on your woodpecker sighting. I have never seen that species. Mostly we get downys and occasionally a hairy. In other years we've seen red bellied and northern flickers but they haven't shown up this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you gardeninacity - these are the only types of Woodpeckers we get here in Scotland. I hope your other visitors make an appearance at some point for you

      Delete
  2. It's great when you install a new bird feeder and sit back and enjoy recording your new visitors... I'm surprised you've managed to tear yourself away for long enough to write this post. Congratulations on finally getting a photo of the woodpecker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it has been hard tearing myself away - I love watching the birds. I'm enjoying identifying them all.

      Delete
  3. I just spotted a Pelliated Woodpecker yesterday . Very interesting, so very rare here. Here along the shores of Lake Michigan, lots of birds pass on their migratory routes. Look forward to seeing your blog again. Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jack...
      Wasn't quite sure what a Pelliated Woodpecker was - google soon put me right!! He sure is a beautiful bird - lucky you :)

      Delete
  4. I've always loved woodpeckers and have had the joy of a young male who has returned for the second year outside my nursing home window.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm pleased your young woodpecker paid you a return visit aussiebybirth - I hope he becomes a regular for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Angie, like you, we also get a lot of pleasure from the birds which visit. Congratulations on capturing a shot of the Woodpecker. A couple of years ago we were regularly visited by one, hasn't turned up at all this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angie wonderful news re woodpecker visitor ,you are so lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its lovely to get a good selection of birds in the garden, your feeder is obviously a hit, and you have woodpecker proof. Me? Envious? Not at all. Well, a little... Though I did spot a pair of woodcocks fossiking around in the front garden a couple of weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.