Thursday, 25 October 2012

More casualties!

I started to cut back some of the perennials today - I was really disappointed to find that the rain had done more damage that I had thought.  Whilst some of the paeonies still had a little foliage left - some rotting has occured around the crowns of the tubers, I've cut out all the stems and will await the appearance of shoots in March . My beautiful white Liatris - which I thought had been devoured by slugs was just a ball of mush!!  I'm not going to hold my breath thinking that the Aconitum 'Stainless Steel' will make a come back next year either.
Despite this - I noticed that the crown on the Cardoon (Cynara Cardunculus) was still relatively health, likewise, my Salvia x sylvestris 'Rose Queen'.  Both have been given a good layer of straw - this Salvia is of questionable hardiness here in Scotland - it worked on 2 out of 3 plants last year.
The Arum lillies (Zantedeschia aetheopica) - which will pretty soon be 'floored' by the frost - where chopped right back and given the same treatment.  These are listed by the RHS as not hardy but other internet website rate them as borderline hardy/hardy.  Therefore it will be another 'wait and see' moment!!



I prefer using these budget plastic coated  wire hanging baskets instead of chicken wire as a way of keeping the straw in place.  I find that chicken wire is a pain to cut and find I often cut myself on the sharp edges no matter how careful I am.  I keep them in place using membrane pegs or garden canes can be pushed down through the holes to secure.   

The shade lovers Hostas, Tellima and Alchemilla Mollis growing around the Kilmarnock Willow have all been cut right back to the ground.  Heuchera Marmalade and the Japanese Holly fern (Cyrtomium fortunei) also enjoy living under the tree.  There is a hellebore planted here but it's looking a bit forlorn - not sure if it's dying or not - time will tell!


Incidentally, the bird feeder I introduced on the Willow was a great success - I've added a couple more - the smaller birds flit in and out all day and only the smaller starlings have thus far managed to negociate the branches.  


Heuchera Marmalade has thoroughly enjoyed it's first season here - it was moved here earlier in the year.  Looking a bit deflated by the cold weather or is it the weight of the fallen bird seed.  Mrs Robin should enjoy these left overs :) 

               
In addition to the feeders - I created a little drinking place for the birds - all these were things lying around the garden, a much better use here it think!!  A few pebbles added for the smaller birds.  The log - which has began rotting, should provide a haven for insects which in turn will be welcomed by the birds!!

Enkianthus cernuus var. Rubens getting redder by  the day - almost looks like a burning fire!  Planted for it's autumn colour - it is not disappointing!!



A close up of those raindrops cradled in the lower branches.
  


A little colour from a gorgeous deep maroon Chrysanthemum brought home by mum the other day.  I doubt very much that it will be hardy - more research is needed. 


4 comments:

  1. Hi Angie - lovely site to see your pictures - love the raindrops

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Paul x
      Pleased you like....It's early days but I'm hoping it will improve as I go along :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Kath - I'm pleased you like :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.