Friday, 19 October 2012

Cordyline australis 'Red Star'

Cordyline australis 'Red Star'......
I know I have said previously that I intend to plant only hardy plants in my garden - there have been 1 or 2 which have slipped under radar.  I am also the proud carer of a reasonable sized Cordyline australis.  I say carer as it was not my choice to buy it but it's care has been left in my hands.
It found it's way into my garden last February - my first thoughts when I saw it coming out the car was 'How did she get that in there?' Who am I referring to...my mother - she has a penchant for tender plants.  Most of the time I am there to curb her attractions but there are other times when I'm not with her.
Anyway, I have been pondering about how to give this plant the protection it needs for winter.  Whilst my neighbour very kindly lets me have use of their under used unheated greenhouse to store a couple of shrubs which are kept in pots it would be totally impractical to even attempt to get this one over there!!

Her 'she' is......



To protect the foliage it was all pulled up and secured with garden twine - I created a frame like a wigwam effect out of sturdy garden canes.  They were pushed right down the side of the pot - this will add stability.  Secured tightly with cable tie (I find cable ties extremely practical in the garden).  I was going to dispose of this old excersise mat that was stuck in a corner of the shed - to be honest - I'm not sure it was ever used.  I'm hoping this will create a lagging similar to that of a water tank. 


The excersise mat was secured around the pot with bundgy ropes - these too were doing 'nothing' in the shed.  I filled right up to the brim of the container with straw.  Fingers crossed that these should keep the frost at bay!!      


Before pulling the fleece over I thought it would be a good idea to soften the tops of the canes - experience has told me that garden fleece will tear on the edges of the canes.  I used some garden netting tied into a ball of sorts and attached with, yes you guess it, cable ties!!   

All I had to do now was to get the fleece over the top - attached securely with yet more cable ties and a bungy rope around the pot.  This should stop any wind getting in underneath and blowing the fleece of.  A quick regroup of some other pots and she was pushed as far back as it would go - the pot isn't too heavy - I took the precaution of using polystyrene as 'crocks' in the bottom.  This greatly reduces the overall weight of the pot.
Now all I have to do is wait until sping time to see if my efforts were successful!!!!!  ROLE ON SPRING!!!!!

       

1 comment:

  1. Smart methods. I did a search to see whether this worked or not, and couldn't find any other reference. I just bought three plants today - I'm in northeast US - and I can't get over what a remarkable effect they have in the front garden. I'm just hoping they will last until October. I paid under $3.00 each. About 2-feet high. An odd choice for me for my wild and native is best philosophy. But I love their effect.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are appreciated. My blog is currently experiencing issues with some readers reporting problems when posting their comments. Please bear with me whilst I try to rectify the problem.
I have temporarily switched on word verification. I apologise for this, personally, I don't like it either, I am hoping this may help.